Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dkkwok
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Virus scan freeze computer

Hello all,

I know this topic has been discussed quite a few times, but after browsing through the threads I had not been able to find a solution to my problem.  This started a couple weeks ago, when I noticed my "Full scan" would freeze at around 4-8% (randomly).  The program could not be cancelled, unable to shut off, not even with "End Task" from Task Manager.  This further leads to my computer's inability to shut down.  It would ask me to "Force close" McAfee, then froze on the "Window is shutting down" screen all night (I am using Windows 7, 32 bits).  I had to hard reboot it, and upon restart get a message saying my computer was not shutdown properly and ask if I want to start at safe mode. 

I read in previous threads where users had similar problem, they seems to be caused by a bad file or something that they were able to identified.  But mine is more random.  I try to reproduce the problem by running the scan repeatedly and found no trend.

Full scans stalls at around 4-8%, quick scan always stalls at 98%, at random files:

Program files\...PX stroage Engine\block.dll

Program Files\Adobe....\Reader\Tracker\tr,gif

Windows\system32\lodctr.exe

some random mp3 files I have in my hard drive

When running full scans for isolated devices (e.g. my jump drive, my phone when plug in, my mp3 player etc), scans went uninterrupted.  This leads me to think it's something in my hard drive that is not working properly. 

chkdsk did find anything.

I am not a computer person - not sure what I should do to further check it or fix it.  Can anyone help?

Oh, and McAfee can update itself with no problem, or that it seems.

Thanks.

5 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Virus scan freeze computer

Hi there,

Please let us know the below information ;

RAM size ;

Hard drive free space :

Any other security software installed ?

Click on About in McAfee security center and let us know

McAfee Virus scan version :

Engine version:

DAT version :

Additionally, I would suggest to run a system file checker on your PC and check . Please follow the steps here and report back if it finds any errors on the Hard drive http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Thanks,

flogger
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hi. Also try to pull up Resource Monitor (Under task manager). Check CPU utilization. It should show you which process is taking up most of your CPU.

dkkwok
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Thank you for both replies.  Here are the additional info.

RAM size: 3GB

Hard drive free space : 78.8 GB of 218 GB

Any other security software installed ? No

Click on About in McAfee security center and let us know

McAfee Virus scan version : 15.0

Engine version: 5400.1158

DAT version : 6641

System file check resulted in "did not find any integrity violations"

CPU usage is in single digit of the percentage, physical memory is 47%.

dkkwok
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Any ideas? 

I was away the past week.  Came back and saw both McAfee and Windows did their usual upates.  Tried the scan again and this time it froze at

C:\Program files\...\1.01\Resources\NPSWF32.dll

I don't see anything thing else that was wrong. 

Do you think it's my window's problem or the McAfee's problem?

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Hi dkkwok,

Please click on Useful links at the top of this page and then click on Technical support

You would get an option to connect to our technical representatives who would help you diagnose this issue.

Else if you wish to talk to a Technical agent, please click on this link :  http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=PHONE

Regards,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community