Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Susanherna
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Virus Scan will not start

Jump to solution

Everytime I try to start a scan I get the message  that an error has occured and to go back to the home page and try again. What is the problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Re: Virus Scan will not start

Jump to solution

Most of the time a uninstall and reinstall cures the problem(s) and I know its a pain in the neck but why not give it a try. Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall and reboot the computer. Then run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links. MCPR removes any remaining McAfee files the normal Add/Remove fails to completely remove and reboot again. Then login to your online McAfee account and download and install the software.

If problems still persist I would suggest you contact Technical Support Chat also found under Useful Links for further analysis of your issue. They are available 24/7 and if necessary they can remote connect to your computer provided you give them permission to do so and have many more tools at their disposal than we have here on the forum.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello,

This error could be related to various reasons such as  a conflict with a different security software or a problem with your default browser, Please provide me with the following details;

what is the operating system that we use in the computer ?
Also let me know how is the computer connected to internet (dsl/cable/dial up)
Did we use any other security software in the computer ?
What is the version of your internet explorer ? (Open internet explorer – click help –click about Internet explorer)

Moving thread to virus scan 14 - 2010

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

Susanherna
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi Dinz!

My operating system in Windows XP. I have no other anti-virus programs. I do have anti-spyware. (SuperAnti Spyware) I also have CCleaner, Auslogics BoostSpeed, but have never had any problems with them. I have IE8. This just started Monday night. I ran the MVP, it said the DAT was out of date. It corrected that, but I am still having the same problem.

Susanherna
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Dinz!

I have VirusScan 13 - 2009. I have to renew my subscription in a few weeks, but I think I am going to the new 2010 version.

Susanherna
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Dinz!

I ran MVT again. I said the DAT was out of date. The version I have is 2018 and it should have been 2022. It attempted to fix it again. I ran it one more time and it still shows the same thing. How can I correct this. I am thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling, but that is a pain in the neck!

BTW   Everything else that MVT checked was okay.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Most of the time a uninstall and reinstall cures the problem(s) and I know its a pain in the neck but why not give it a try. Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall and reboot the computer. Then run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links. MCPR removes any remaining McAfee files the normal Add/Remove fails to completely remove and reboot again. Then login to your online McAfee account and download and install the software.

If problems still persist I would suggest you contact Technical Support Chat also found under Useful Links for further analysis of your issue. They are available 24/7 and if necessary they can remote connect to your computer provided you give them permission to do so and have many more tools at their disposal than we have here on the forum.

Good Luck

Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi Susan,

I have sent you an email on this requesting for more information , Please have replied so that we could help you to get this fixed.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

Nina
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi

I just lost the virus protection in my McAfee product. I reinstalled it. Receive all kinds of script messages as this one. e.g. scrip://misp//:ScanRunning.js. I don't have and other security software and use Vista, adsl and Google Chrome.

Thank you!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community