cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaesmom
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Virus Scan version 14, DAT 5964 on Vista - says I'm not protected

I got the automatic update this morning.  Rebooted as instructed.  Ever since then, I have a little red exclamation point that says I'm not protected.  When I open the new security center, it says virus protection is not installed.  However if I try to install it, nothing happens.

We have this on 3 computers and so far mine is the only one that has updated to this new version.  I've turned OFF the auto update on the other computers so I don't have to deal with this 2 more times.

9 Replies
kaesmom
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Virus Scan version 14, DAT 5964 on Vista - says I'm not protected

I forgot to mention that I can't run a scan, either.

I'm so incredibly frustrated.  Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?  Thanks so much.

cjmcmurdo
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

I have the exact same problem.  Not sure how to fix it.  Do any of their tech guys check these posts and offer advice?

kaesmom
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Another update ran last night.  I'm now at DAT 5965 but still having the same problems.

{sigh}

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Hi ,

Could you please provide me with the following information;

What is the computer's operating system ?

How is the computer currently connected to internet ?

Do we have any other security software installed in the computer ?

Kindly update me on the above information and we shall proceed further.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

cjmcmurdo
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Windows Vista with all current updates

Connected to the internet via DSL (?)

No other security software installed aside from what comes with Windows - Defender/Firewall

kaesmom
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Windows Vista

Connected via a home network - main computer is connected via cable modem

No other security software installed

cjmcmurdo
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Got fed up last night.  Computer was taking for ever to reboot, internet explorer/firefox would freeze, hard drive was constantly doing something.

Uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled and am now back to what looks like the original 2009 Security Center version I had before this horrible update.  VirusScan shows version 12.1, not version 14 as before, and the DAT is 5966.

Everything seems OK for now.  I was really impressed with the McAfee product up till now.  Is there a way that I can manually update the product so that I only get virus definitions, etc. but not version updates which it appears I got sometime last weekend?

kaesmom
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I just did an uninstall and reinstall.  I got version 14 again, but DAT 5966 and it seems to be working.  So far.  I haven't rebooted yet.  I'm somewhat afraid to...

NealasMom
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

I have DAT 5978, installed 5/10 and it says I'm not protected.  I have tried to contact support, but everything is a dead end.  Can't install the virtual technician, can't chat or e-mail.  I've been extremely pleased with McAfee to this point, but am totally frustrated now.  Is uninstalling and redownloading the thing to do?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community