Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnJeffrey
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Virus Scan not on my PC but I keep getting warning messages anyhow

Jump to solution

I have a reasonably new Dell PC (Windows 10) that came with McAfee pre-installed, but I have never registered the software, nor used it.  In the last 24 hours I have been bombarded with terrifying warnings which pop up in browser windows  - both Chrome and Edge.  They tell me all sorts of problems are present on my PC and that I need to pay to register McAfee, but I don't believe them.

I have tried to remove McAfee from my PC but it doesn't seem to be anywhere to be found; certainly, Win 10 Control Panel doesn't find it .  I have run the MCPR tool which reports that it is deleting lots of files, but nothing changes.

I am hugely suspicious that some malware has taken over my PC that is pretending to be McAfee, but I don't know where to begin looking for a solution.  Any advice gratefully received.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnJeffrey
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Virus Scan not on my PC but I keep getting warning messages anyhow

Jump to solution

Thank you to Edward Franso.  I tried the advice here and - so far at least - the problem seems to have gone away.  I am grateful for the support, but I wish I could inflict some personal harm to the criminals who cause this kind of problem in the first place.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Edward_Franso
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hello @JohnJeffrey 

Greetings from McAfee,

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We suggest you access the link below which has information on how stop unwanted pop up in borwsers.

If you have any concerns, feel free to reply to the post or contact our support team using the link below.

Turn off web push notifications

McAfee Chat Support

Thanks,
Edward Franso 

JohnJeffrey
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Thank you to Edward Franso.  I tried the advice here and - so far at least - the problem seems to have gone away.  I am grateful for the support, but I wish I could inflict some personal harm to the criminals who cause this kind of problem in the first place.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community