cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saty
Former Member
Message 1 of 69

Virus Scan freezes on file

My auto VirusScan froze on a file for 8 hours this weekend (100% CPU for mcods.exe)

It is always the same file (Roxio/VideoWaveMC.exe) - this is not a new file (5 yrs +)

I copied the file, and it freezes on the copy

Virtual Technician runs cleanly

It will not let me skip the file

McAfee is up to date.

Windows XP is up to date

Malware and SpySweeper are happy

???

68 Replies
saty
Former Member
Message 2 of 69

Re: Virus Scan freezes on file

I ran CHKDSK w/o errors last week, but have not run it since problem

I would think if it were bad sectors the copy would not also hang, but I will copy it over from the original CD tonight

Kavu
Former Member
Message 3 of 69

I also just encountered this same problem with the same file:

Roxio/VideowaveMC.exe

Yes, this is an old file in an old program(Roxio VideoWave Movie Creator) which was designed for XP. But I have been scanning it cleanly for 5+ years without any problem until this weekend(11/29/09)

A full scheduled scan froze on this file in several attempts; an individual file scan of it also froze....would not begin to scan. I also tried scanning a copy with the same result. I also cannot skip the file. I tried to scan in SafeBoot mode and it froze there as well. I turned off Artemis and re-scanned with same freezing effect.

Virtual Technician comes up clean, all McAfee products up-to-date and everything working fine.

Check Disk comes up clean

SpyBotS&D comes up clean

No other issues or indications of infection.

I did a System Restore which made no difference, as it scanned after McAfee updated DAT. This would seem to imply that the last DAT is not compatible with this file?

Note: the videowaveMC.exe program still runs ok...I just can't scan my computer now(without it freezing up).

I did notice that the McAfee program file 'mcods.exe' stays maxed out even after the scan is canceled. I have to manually stop the mcods.exe file in Task Manager in order to effectively use the computer again.

I wasn't able to find a way to exclude the videowaveMC.exe file from the McAfee scan. Is there a way to do that? Or better yet fix this incompatibility with McAfee.

I had thought I was alone in this problem and searched through the forums here for an answer...but now I see I(we) are not alone.

Any help from the powers that be to fix this or provide a solution would be greatly appreciated.

System stats:

Windows XP SP3

IE7

Security Center

version 9.15

build 9.15.160

(11/18/2009)

Virus Scan

version 13.15

build13.15.113

(11/30/2009)

DAT

5818.0000 (11/30/2009)

Engine version 5301.4018

Personal Firewall

version 10.15

build 10.15.106

(11/18/2009)

saty
Former Member
Message 4 of 69

yep, yep, yep

all same with me

mcods.exe still runs, you have to clobber it in Task Manager

near as I can tell, my CPU was pegged a 100% for 8 hours Sunday mnorning. very nice mcafee.

I will rerun CHKDSK tonight, but your note about the same file makes me all the more covinced i is McAfee and this file.

the Roxio program seems to work fine

PattiWagen
Contributor
Message 5 of 69

I wonder if there is a problem with the latest dat file or mcAfee scan program.  Mine gets stuck on a Zip file "Magellan_Maestro_3100_2_18.zip".  It looks like scan is still working, but it shows 13% finished and it is always on the same file.  The file is too big to attach.

dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 6 of 69

If you have file VirusScan is freezing on, please submit it to Webimmune https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp

Once you have submitted it please give me the analysis ID.

Thanks,

saty
Former Member
Message 7 of 69

Thanks, will do tonight.

saty
Former Member
Message 8 of 69

ID 5669532 - THIS ONE NEVER RETURNED A RESULT

ID 5669562 took awhile

Message was edited by: saty on 12/1/09 6:19 PM
saty
Former Member
Message 9 of 69

cAfee Labs - Beaverton

Current Scan Engine Version:5400.1158

Current DAT  Version:5819.0000

Thank you for your submission.

Analysis ID:  5669562

NameFindingsDetectionTypeExtra
videowavemc.exeinconclusiveno

inconclusive [ videowavemc.exe ]

Upon  analysis the file submitted does not appear to contain one of the 200,000 known  threats in the AutoImmune database. The file may contain a new threat, or no  code capable of being infected. Your submission is being forwarded to an Avert  Labs Researcher for further analysis. You will be contacted by AVERT through  e-mail with the results of that  analysis.

Regards,

McAfee Labs

dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 10 of 69

Thanks for submitting the file. I wasn't expecting it to be detected as anything. Now that we have the file on our servers I will be able to have a researcher take a look at it.

Thanks,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community