Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 51 of 69

Re: Virus Scan freezes on file

Kathleen,

Thanks for the feedback. Let us know if the problem returns.

Saty,

Our quality teams thoroughly test the definition files before they are released. I am running several versions of McAfee (VirusScan 13.3, VS 14 (Beta), VSE 8.7) and all my scans run fine. Your case seems to be a one off which happens from time to time. Go ahead and send me a private message so I can give you instructions on how to collect debugging information.

Thanks,

Insomniac0007
Former Member
Message 52 of 69

I ran a full scan this morning and it completed with no problem ...I presume that the latest update from McAfee fixed the problem ... I will scan again daily for a while to make sure it does not happen again ... net loss was a whole lot of time chasing this issue ...Hope there will be a general report to this thread explaining what went wrong ...

I was not using the Roxio program I removed and I never did anything with the    C:\SystemVolume Inform... 84D}\RP587\A0111486.rbf     file that froze things after the Roxio file was gone ...since I did nothing the cure must have come in the update .

BTW :  How do I find out what the ID # is on the updates ?? People were talking about  DAT ### and I never saw anything like that anywhere in my McAfee .... ??

I could not participate in the "Send a copy of the offending file"  because my excuse for highspeed is a 1 Gb / M O N T H  account that works off the cell phone system <--- sucks but dialup is the only other route here ...Boonies , Northern ontario Canada..MAC man just trying to take care of my Wife's PC   < --- which also sucks compared to the MAC .

dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 53 of 69

Right-Click the M icon

In the bottom right hand corner of the SecurityCenter click About

In the VirusScan section it will show information like version numbers. The one called DAT version is what we are referring to here. For example mine says 5825.0000 or  5825 DAT.

Regards,

saty
Former Member
Message 54 of 69

Can someone translate this for me. He seems to start telling me that the files is handled correctly, then wants me to do a manual command line scan, to deal with the "virus". is he saying that VideoWaveMC.exe is a virus ?????? The program isn't updated completely by itself ?????

Full View
Escalation: 5669599

McAfee Labs Sample Analysis
Issue Number: 5669599
Virus Research Analyst: Tony Abrahams
Identified: Clean

McAfee Labs, McAfee Labs, Aylesbury, UK

Thank you for submitting your suspicious file.

Synopsis -

This sample is correctly handled using our current scanners (Version 5x Engine 5.4.00 + the current DAT 5824).

In order to get the fastest possible response, you may wish to submit future virus samples to <http://www.webimmune.net>. In most cases it can respond almost instantly with a solution.

More and more malware threats are taking advantage of open file and printer shares to spread, without users having to actually execute any files.

If your computer is not networked with other machines, there is no need to have file and printer sharing installed, so it should be disabled. If your computer is networked with others, you may need to have some level of file and printer sharing. In either case, if you are affected by one of these threats, you may need to adjust your level of file and printer sharing to take care of the problem.

Please consult with your administrator before making any changes on your own, if you're on a LAN.

For other virus-related information, please see the McAfee Labs homepage at: 
<http://vil.nai.com/vil/default.aspx>

Solution -

If you are using an Engine older than what is current, we strongly recommend that you upgrade as, in a lot of cases, an old engine will not identify and remove certain malware (even with a current set of DAT files). So, as well as DAT files, engines need to be updated to include regular changes and improvements made to the scanner.

Engine and DAT updates are available at:
<http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp>

To ensure that you have the maximum available capability of detecting and cleaning this virus, please scan your system from the command-line with the latest engine and DAT files. Please note, SCAN.EXE will also remove system changes made by malware. Technical Support can help you with this process if you would like assistance.

As detection and removal exists in the latest engine/DAT files, if you are not seeing this with the GUI product you are using, please speak with technical support for the product in question.  They will be able help you determine the cause of this discrepancy and help you find a solution.

Support -

Virus Research accepts file-samples for analysis and possible inclusion into AV signature DAT sets. We are also prepared to answer general virus questions.

All product-related questions and comments can be addressed through technical support and customer service, including:

* Product installation and update questions
* Product usage questions
* Specific operating system/version questions
* Assistance with detection and cleaning or removal of viruses or trojans

Please use the following links to reach our technical support group for McAfee products.

Corporate Customers:
<http://www.mcafee.com/us/support/index.html>

Single User/Retail Customers:
<http://service.mcafee.com/default.aspx>

Regards,

Tony Abrahams
McAfee Labs
--------------------------
McAfee Labs Blog <http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/>
AudioParasitics - The Official PodCast of McAfee Labs <http://podcasts.mcafee.com/audioparasitics>
--------------------------
Safe online? Avoid dangerous web sites using McAfee SiteAdvisor™ -  a FREE download from http://www.siteadvisor.com?cid=27092. Don't search or surf without it!

Message was edited by: saty on 12/7/09 6:24:46 PM CST
dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 55 of 69

Saty,

The response from McAfee Labs is Identified: Clean. Are you still having problems with this file? Everyone else on the thread indicates it is resolved. Please let me know. Otherwise lets resolve and close the thread.

Thanks,

saty
Former Member
Message 56 of 69

I am not at the moment, why is he telling me to do a manual scan ??? do I need to manually update the Engine ????

What is Version 5x Engine 5.4.00 ????

I'm at version 13.15 ???

dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 57 of 69

His email just gives extra solutions to assist if you have further questions. Please just ignore it as most of it is directed to our Enterprise customers.

In your case you are clean, have the latest DAT, and scan Engine. There is no need to do anything else.

Regards,

lingyi764
Former Member
Message 58 of 69

I was also able to successfully complete a full scan with the latest DAT (from 12/7/09).

saty
Former Member
Message 59 of 69

it has finished two complete scans now, so looks good

BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 60 of 69

Hi,

Glad to know you’re good now, So Please do let us know if you have any more concern/issue with McAfee Scan. Open a new thread if you face any issue with the McAfee product.

Thanks....

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community