Former Member
Message 21 of 69

Re: Virus Scan freezes on file

Yes, mine works now, too! Thanks.

Kathleen
Contributor
Message 22 of 69

Unfortunately, McAfee hung again, and again it was on VideoWaveMC.exe.  Again it was at 74% complete.  My McAfee Security Center is completely up-to-date.

😞

Kavu
Former Member
Message 23 of 69

My file located in the Roxio file in C:\Program Files\Roxio\VideoWaveMC\VideoWaveMC.exe is v1.6.676.1 at 268 kb, first passed the scan.

So I did a full scan on the C drive which froze on another version/copy of the file which is apparently stored in a Windows operating system file:

C:\Windows\Installer\{BB46245B-CECA-406F-8790-3ABA0D01012F}\VideoWaveMC.exe

Note: the 'Installer' folder is Hidden and also a protected Operating system file which can be seen if Hidden Files are enabled as well as protected operating system files are enabled through Windows Explorer menu bar: tools\folder options\view

Anyway this file did not pass the scan. file details: VideoWaveMC.exe at 268 kb v. 1.6.636.0

Note that this is an earlier version of the program executable. I do remember updating the program from this version to the currently used 1.6.676.1 version quite awhile ago.

So after a bit of Googling, I determined that the 'Installer' folder is a location for an older MS installation process to install a program or often a package of programs. In this case the sub GUI framework folder that makes up the Roxio package located in the Program Files location.

So this Installer VideoWaveMC.exe is likely involved in some way when the program is installed/updated/uninstalled. However it is apparently not necessary to run the program directly. I tried renaming this file and re-scanned w/o success. I tried placing in a password protected zip file and it does pass a scan. And lastly I tried copying the program location file(newer 1.6.676.1 version) to the Installer folder\subfolder location(with older version in a passworded zip file) but there were problems.

I tried to run the videowave program after each of these steps and the program always worked. However, now when I scan the program file location, the newer version(which originally passed a scan) now does not.

So the bottom line is the problem remains for me with both file locations(each a different version) of the VideoWaveMC.exe failing the scan. I have returned all files(w/correct previous version) to their original location reversing my steps. The videowaveMC program still runs upon execution, it just freezes the scan as was the initial problem.

Does the McAfee staff have a solution?

Message was edited by: Kavu on 12/5/09 5:23:56 PM GMT-07:00
Kathleen
Contributor
Message 24 of 69

So far, I have not gone through any convoluted shenanigans (moving/renaming/zipping) the VideoWaveMC.exe file as I don't feel I should have to.  I have had this computer for five years (or thereabouts), have had Roxio on it the entire time (vendor [Dell] installed), have run a daily virus scan (including hidden files & folders and heuristics) the entire time, and have never had a problem of any sort until the morning of Saturday, November 28.  Scan ran perfectly at 4:00 a.m. on Friday morning November 27.  That was the last time it worked properly.  So, something got farked up in the DAT file that was released during the day on November 27 and McAfee hasn't fixed it yet.  I pay them for security.  They should be the ones to figure out, and fix, the problem.

saty
Former Member
Message 25 of 69

No, "Not Protected" problem still not fixed

STILL DOES IT

WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED, DO THEY EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS ?????

Kathleen
Contributor
Message 26 of 69

No, I don't think McAfee knows what it is.  They are probably clueless that there even is a problem.  I seriously doubt they read this message board.  If you go to the McAfee web site and search the knowledge base, you'll come up empty (ask me how I know -- been there, done that, didn't even get a t-shirt).  You don't even get an option to e-mail them.  You can do an online chat, but you have to wait a long time to connect to an available tech.  I don't want to waste my time that way.  I want them to put out a fix, and put it out now.  This has been going on long enough.

Gee, I just thought of something.... since the folks at McAfee appear to be clueless about this, does it mean that none of them use their own product on their personal machines at their homes?  'Cuz if they did, they'd be aware of this issue....

dabmin
Former Member
Message 27 of 69

Darn!  I got a "Not Protected" pop up tonight. After hitting the "fix it" button, I tried to scan the Roxio folder to see if it would still complete the scan  I.  It doesn't!  It did this morning, and now it doesn't again.  I noticed that I did get a new DAT (5823) today.  Maybe the new DATs, or the install process, is messing something up? I share your frustration. I tried re-booting to see if it would work again after a re-boot, but no luck.

Kathleen
Contributor
Message 28 of 69

The McAfee Security Center software on my computer is set to automatically download and install all updates.  Every once in a while there will be a message that I have to restart my computer for the installation to be completed; but as a general rule, the DATS download and install automatically without any restarting of the machine.

For about five freaking years this machine has had a DAILY antivirus scan, and the very first issue - ever - was the morning of Saturday, November 28, 2009, when the scan got hung up on the VideoWaveMC.exe file in Roxio.

Insomniac0007
Former Member
Message 29 of 69

Hooray Kathleen !!

" I pay them for security.  They should be the ones to figure out, and fix, the problem"

EXACTLY ... none of us changed ANYTHING ..McAfee is changing things all the time ... suddenly we get a file that we have had forever and scanned a zillion times and now since the 28th that file freezes the works..if you kill off that file then  "C3\System Volume Inform ....84D}\RP587\Ao111486.rbf"  steps up to the plate and freezes the scan .... so we pay McAfee so we can waste our time chasing files around our computers and getting nothing else done while they watch the resubscription cash build up and run worthless BOTS that pose as real tech people and ignore the problem .

Can't scan so we are vulnerable

Skip button is a joke and does nothing

McAfee ignores any e-mail requests for action

OBVIOUSLY the fault is theirs ... anybody written one of the tech trade newsletters or mags to let them in on McAfee's problem ?? Wannah bet the bad guys out there are sharpening their knives to exploit the fact that some large number of McAfee suckers are vulnerable ...

Totally pissed ... hope you folks are in the same mood ....

saty
Former Member
Message 30 of 69

a) my full rescan of Sunday froze at the copy of the file, which passed on the Saturday morning full scan

b) it passes the manual scan still

c) I sent them this file on Tues, on Wednesday they replied "doesn't contain a known threat" - notning since then

So, now I am back to being unable to do a Full Scan on my machine

Message was edited by: saty on 12/6/09 10:28:36 AM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community