cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blufur
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Virus Scan disables itself/ Service not running

I just installed McAfee Security Center 9 and it installed fine. I even did a virus scan. After rebooting, the Virus Scan will not enable.

MVT tells me McAfee Security Suite 13.15.101
Problem: Service Not running

but it is not able to fix.

I am running Vista Ultimate.
MVT Version : 5.0.1.0
System Information
Operating System : Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition(Build 6001)
Service Pack : Service Pack 1.0
Language : 0409
Internet Explorer Version : 8.0
Internet Explorer Language : en-us
System Drive Type : NTFS
Physical Memory Available : 4194303
Physical Memory Total : 4194303
Virtual Memory Available : 10525588
Virtual Memory Total : 12685380
System Architecture : Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Date Time : 09/02/2009 17:06:23
Time Zone : GMT -05:00
7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

RE: Virus Scan disables itself/ Service not running

First do a scan with

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/dat...mbam-rules.exe

Next, download the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. After running the Malwarebytes tool above, if you still can't download and install it directly from the problem machine, download it on a friend or family member's computer as well. After installing and updating SuperAntispyware, run another full system scan and delete everything it finds as well. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

If no help I would as a 2nd choice uninstall Mcafee via the removal tool linked to in my sig and reboot and reinstall 3.15.

It is possible something installed on your PC is clashing ie an old anti virus/firwall program or the install got corrupted. Post back with the results
blufur
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Working now

Well, while I posted this in the forum, I contacted McAfee support and I am now okay.

1) I had to remove McAfee using the normal Remove Programs.
2) Then I had to run MCPR.exe- McAfee Removal tool.
3) Then I had to run the Pre-Install Tool (http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe)
4) Then re-install McAfee.

After a few days, it appears the problem is gone.
blufur
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Happened Again

So, it turns out, that it just happened again, but I think I know what has happened.

I have System Mechanic and it performed a registry compact which according to some forums, will cause McAfee to fail, just as it did for me.

I have now turned off registry compact and hope for the best.
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 8

RE: Happened Again

Keep us updated if it happens again seems my 2nd and 3rd options were on target. Registry software can cause issues. Hopefully this now fixed.
fmnakamura
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Re: Happened Again

I had the same problem using the System Mechanical, and I've followed your suggestion and turned off the tool that compact the registry, and now all McAfee services are working fine.

One thing weird was that on the other computer, this problem didn't occur. And on this second computer, the only difference was that I haven't used the automatic repair on all issues. I think that the automatic repair could be the cause of the McAfee's services clash.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I agree with Peacekeeper that registry software programs often make more of a mess than if you did not use them in the first place. Please let us know if you continue to have issues.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 8

I have made this an item in our mod call Monday just to let the techs know. I am though interested if it is the auto setting or the compacting setting just so we can confirm this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community