cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Big-Orange
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Virus Scan Plus (2009) freezes indefinitely at the 96% complete point

I have to click Cancel to shut down scan. Last scanned file was registry file HKU\S-1-5-21-614521828-...et Settings\P3P\History (exactly as it appears in scan window). Can not associate this file with a program. I have just downloaded the current Virus Scan program for my account, and it seems to work normally. I have been having this trouble since before I installed the new program. Any hints or help?

13 Replies
thedavid01
Former Member
Message 2 of 14

Re: Virus Scan Plus (2009) freezes indefinitely at the 96% complete point

I have been having the same problem, except I only make it to 89%. Have tried uninstalling, re-installing nothing helps. This never used to happen. It only happens when I run a full scan..quick scan works fine, but not thourough. I tried downloading and running Malwarebytes and AntiSpyware (suggestions of Ex-Brit, different post/forum), but to no avail. AND can't get ahold of anyone at McAfee to help! I'm with you on this..help please!

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Mine Does not freeze but has never gone above 96% since I've had McAfee, but it keeps scanning for about 5 minutes or more at 96%  - you can see the files being scanned at 96%. (When I got this computer I installed McAfee from the site. It only scanned 96%  About a year later I had to have service due to malware. Tech "wiped" computer, reinstalled Windows and everything else except McAfee. He installed a different McAfee - a one year subscription from Disk)

This McAfee I'm using  also only goes to 96% on Full Scan. When I try the quick scan or whatever it's called  it goes as high as 99%.

The Custom scan does the same percentage as the full scan (96%), but continues to show the files being scanned after it reaches 96%. However the % never gets to 97% or higher.

I have the alarm set up in McAfee, so I get a "bong" noise from the the program when it finishes.

I see that it's been suggested in another thread that it should be going to 100%.

Not sure what to do. Using Security Center 9.15   Virus Scan 13.15    XP / service pk 3

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 11/15/09 10:04 AM

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 11/15/09 11:16 AM
Steveo46
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Hi,

I have the same problem.My virus scan stops at 96%.Look at your disc drive light you will see it is busy.It sits at 96 % for alittle bit,maybe minutes but it will finish.

Steve

thedavid01
Former Member
Message 5 of 14

I'm sorry to be so concrete, but by "minutes", how long do you mean?..Because when I've reached 89%, and have let it sit there for hours..nothing happens...BUT, I will try again, as your reply seems the most hopeful I've read regarding this problem. Wish me luck!

Steveo46
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Hi,

When I run a Full Virus Scan it will go to 96% & stop.I look at my drive I see it is busy. When I say minutes it could be 10 minutes & then I get a summary. It also might have to do with how big is your drive & how full is it as far as Data.I am running a 80 gig with only 8.5 gigs used So my drive runs a scan pretty fast.

I hope that sheds some light on the problem Good Luck,

Steve

Big-Orange
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

theDavid01,

Thanks for your reply. I am glad to know that I am not the only one having this problem. If I come up with any sort of solution, I will give you another reply. Please do the same for me. Thanks and good luck figuring it all out.

Big-Orange

Big-Orange
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

hopeless 1,

Thanks for reply. Mine works well in quick scan also, but freezes in Full and Custom. I am using same version you are. If I come up with anything I will let you know. Good luck getting it straightened out.

Big-Orange

Big-Orange
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

Steveo46,

Nope! My harddrive light is silent when it freezes. I have watched the file count and the file names. It always stops on the same registry address and will sit there until I red X the program. Glad yours goes ahead and finishes the scan. Thanks for info. Good luck using scanner.

Big-Orange

Big-Orange
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

theDavid01,

Mine will sit forever at 96% without finishing. HDD not running, no file scan progression at all. I have finally closed the program after about 24 hours and it was still at 96%. Thanks for reply. Still working on the problem.

Big-Orange

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community