cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dropthepuck28
Former Member
Message 11 of 17

Virus Scan Freezes

I know I'm jumping into this post kinda late but I have a similar situation that just started. I've run McAfee Security Center 9.15 for over a year and a half. About a month ago it was updated to a new version, 10.5. Since then I've been unable to run a Full Scan. It hangs up and actually shuts down my computer. I watched it the other day and noticed it hangs at 20% on the same 2 files, they are ProPrWW.cab and ProPrWW2.cab. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition with Microsoft Office 2010. Can anyone tell me where these files are located on my computer and if there's any fix to this issue? Thanks for any help.

DropThePuck28

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 17

Virus Scan Freezes

If possible try

custom scan and set to scan  Program files and docs only and exclude compressed files does it run ok?

search for the files via start   search  files and folders and type in the names there.

If above no join try moving them onto a usb stick and see if scan works and office does as well.

Next version mcafee can be set to skip files and folders in custom and scheduled scan.

dropthepuck28
Former Member
Message 13 of 17

Virus Scan Freezes

Peacekeeper,

Thanks for your help. I tried a custom scan and it passed, but I can't schedule that on a weekly basis. I've uninstalled it and tried a free 30 day version of AVG 2011. I ran their full system scan and it passed without issue. My Internet provider provides McAfee to me for free and I'm running it on my other 3 PC's without any issues. I'd really like to use the same software on all of my PC's. I've tried to search for the file but can't seem to find it. I've even searched hidden files and folders. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tony

Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 17

Virus Scan Freezes

Have the other PCs got office 2010 installed?

Sorry have not the program so cannot help your search maybe retry it 1 is under users

dropthepuck28
Former Member
Message 15 of 17

Virus Scan Freezes

Only 1 of my other machines has Office 2010, but it's running Windows 7. Any idea what application inside the 2010 Office Suite uses ProPrWW.cab? When will the next version be available? Should I just plan on not using McAfee and look for other software?

tnj
Former Member
Message 16 of 17

Re: Virus Scan Freezes

i have the same issue, mine only started this week. I have a Dell XPS 1530  windows 7 64 bit and am running office 2010 when i do a scan it freezes at ProPrww.cab then the computer crashes and restarts. It happens everytime I run a scan. This time when it got up to that file I skipped it so at least the scan could finish. Other than that McAfee finds no issues . I have other issues with a graphic card..the NVIDIA GeForce card seems to be causing problems but this was the first time this happened with the Virus scan. I looked it up and couldn't find what it belonged to until i read that some people were having issues with ProPsww.cab and it belonged to office 2010. I put the original disc in and set it to repair the program...computer crashed again. Don't know what to do. From what i can gather there are multiple issues with lots of people and they all seem to have started at around the same time.

Everyone seems to be having issues with their graphic card (NVIDIA ones) lots of people are getting black screen issues all  because of some recent update. As this is a recent problem along with this ProPrww,cab issue all of which have started at the same time am thinking that they might all be interlinked. Don't know what to do.

I have tried lots of things my computer hasn't crashed for over an hour so am trying to research what other people have done to resolve their many issues.

If anyone has any advice please help

Thanks

dropthepuck28
Former Member
Message 17 of 17

Re: Virus Scan Freezes

tnj,

I had the same issue and now it's gone. I was running the security center on my XP machine for about a year and when it updated to a newer version the crashes started. For about a month I was unable to perform a full scan. I tried several fixes I found at this site as well as others, nothing worked. Finally I decided to restore my computer to an earlier date and uninstall McAfee.After re-installing  I did a custom scan deselecting Exclude Zip and other compressed files. This worked fine. I then did a Full Scan and it hung up on ProPrww.cab for a good 5 minutes. It used 100% PCU Usage and I thought it was going to crash but it never did and finally worked it's way through it. I can now do a full scan, however other issues appeared. I can't seem to schedule a Full Scan. I have it set for every Saturday @ 11:30 AM, but nothing happens. That's not too bad, I can live with that. The other issue has to do with Outlook 2010. I can no longer use the Reading Pane feature and move about in Outlook. If I do, Outlook crashes. I have to turn the Reading Pane on and off in order to work in Outlook. So basically I took one step forward but moved two steps back. I think I'm better of being able to do a Full Scan so I'm living with the way it is. While trying to find an answer for this it seems nobody including McAfee had any answer. Good luck...you may need it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community