cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwchr
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Very Frustrated - McAfee will not run!

None of the McAfee services will run....the virtual techician found 11 problems! It can't fix the processes and services errors.  None of applications will run!  Not VirusScanPlus, Security Center, Firewall, etc.!  McAfee what is wrong????  Then I go to the on line chat but the continually hangs!!! I am ready to demand my money back and buy something else!

What can I do???

My session ID 23649159

9 Replies
SamSwift
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 10

Re: Very Frustrated - McAfee will not run!

Hi,

it's possible you have some malware on your machine, as many malware authors will include code to disable AV software as part of the payload. can you download our free stinger tool, run it on your machine with artemis enabled on 'very high' an with it set to 'report only', then post the report up on this thread so we can take a look.

Thanks,

Sam

dwchr
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

I have run the stinger tool.  The report is attached.  Please review and let me know your recommendations.

Thank you.

dwchr
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Sam,

My stinger results are attached.  Please review and let me know how to proceed.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Hi dwchr,

May I know whether are you able to open security center ? if so can you provide the error message under the fix button so that we could diagnose the issue and proceed accordingly. If possible try to attach an image of your security center.

Also let me know the following information;

What is the operating system of the computer ?

How old is the computer ?

Have you made any recent changes to the computer after installing mcafee?

Do you receive an anonymous pop ups regarding a malware intrusion in the computer ?

Thanks,

Dinesh K

dwchr
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

I cannot open security center...it will not load.  I can try to run McAfee Security Scan but I get the message "Your computer is at risk"..."We noticed you...scanning is off.  Don't leave you PC defenseless....open your McaAfee product and turn on anti-virus scanning now".  If I select "Fix" I get routed to your website to purchase a copy!

Also let me know the following information;

What is the operating system of the computer ?

Windows XP Home Edition. Version 5.1.2600 SP 3  Build 2600

How old is the computer ?

Dell Dimension 8300 2004

Have you made any recent changes to the computer after installing mcafee?

I have had McAfee running for years, since I bought the PC.  The only OS changes occur when Microsoft does an update (automatic updates are on).

Do you receive an anonymous pop ups regarding a malware intrusion in the computer ?

No

Please tell me how to proceed.

Thank you.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Hi Dwxhr,

Please follow the below steps before you try to open security center;

Click start - run - type services.msc and then click Ok

In the services local window, check whether the start up type of all mcafee services are in started and Automatic

If not click on the particualr service, and change the start up type to Automatic.

Click the "recovery tab" at the top and change all the three failures to "Restart the service"

Close all open programs and restart the computer

And then try to open security center , kindly report back if you have any issues on the same.

Regards,

Dinesh K

brownkibo
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Forgive my responding to this post rather than starting a new thread!

I have the dubious distinction of having joined the club of those unable to open McAfee.  This is what I can tell you:

1. My son came to me with a problem that Windows was flashing that we had a bunch of trojans, etc. and wanted us to purchase a software package for $50 to fix it.  (I'm embarassed to say I didn't write anything down. 😞 ). 
  2. I tried to launch McAfee to do a scan, but the program would not launch (its there). 
  3. My Spybot program also will not launch. 
  4. I ran Virtual Technician but it saw no problems. 
  5. The system shows Services for McAfee:
    • Anti-Spam Service - Started - Auto
    • Network Agent - error 1053 when I attempt to start - Auto
    • Personal Firewall Service - error 1053 - Auto
    • Proxy Service - error 1053 - Auto
    • Real-time Scanner - error 1053  - Auto
    • Scanner - Started - Manual
    • Services - error 1053 - Auto
    • SystemGuards - error 1053 - Manual
  6. I downloaded and ran Stinger with Heuristic... set to Very high. 
  7. I have attached the txt file showing 10 Artemis! trojans. 
  8. Because we have pop up blocker, I can't report on this issue. 
  9. My system: 2002 Dell Dimension 8250 running XP Professional 2002 with SP3 and IE7 (and yes, the system is a slug!). 

Are these, in fact Trojans that need to be removed and if so, how?

How do I get McAfee up and running so I can protect my computer again?

xdomino
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Hey I have the same problem i restored Windows Vista not that long ago and Mcafee went haywire and corrupted itself now every time I try to open it it says One of your Mcafee programs has been updated or installed. You must restart your computer before you can use Security Center.

Any help would be appreciated

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

May I suggest you uninstall your software via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Then go to Useful Links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool which will completely remove all traces of McAfee and rebbot again. Then login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software. This should get you back up and running again.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community