Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_30293
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Update is being installed, but process is hung

Jump to solution

I'm running (or was running until this problem) McAfee Antivirus Plus on my Windows 7 PC, but when I double click on the McAfee tray icon, it says "An update is being installed, please wait until McAfee finishes the installation of your software".  Problem is it doesn't finish.  I ran MVT and it finds problems with services not running, but it doesn't fix them.  I scan again and the cycle continues.  This seems to have occurred today (12/2/16) trying to update Security Center to 15.0.2063 from 15.0.2061.  FYI, clicking on the McAfee Antivirus Plus desktop icon does not launch the program.  What's going on?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

Re: Update is being installed, but process is hung

Jump to solution

Then it seems doing a reboot allowed your update to install/ take effect. Todays latest Anti-Virus Engine Version is (2819.0). Click on Navigate/About/and see if this is indeed the case. Also if your status shows that 'Your Computer is Secure', you should be okay.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

two possibilities

1 server down waiting might prove  a help though

2. The current install could be now corrupted so a full uninstall reinstall might be the better way to proceed.

You might then get 15.1 once you reinstall from your account

Remove Mcafee

user_30293
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

When you say 15.1 I assume that's a version number, but for which product or component of Antivirus Plus?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

It means that your 'Security Center ' Version\Build of your suite may change, to include your Anti-Virus Scanning Engine. I am uncertain if you subscribe directly from McAfee ? However (15.1.156 ) is the most current Version\Build Affld# 0.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_30293
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

According to MVT, I have SecurityCenter 15.0.2061, Affld# 1289, last update shows to be 11/23/16.  I bought this Antivirus Plus package from Amazon in January of this year for unlimited devices, so I believe I'm subscribed directly with McAfee.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Have your issues been resolved? In other words have you followed Peacekeeper's advice and performed a Clean Uninstall\Reinstall?

Note: If you purchased your software directly from Intel Security (McAfee), go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx to log in and download your software.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_30293
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

TBH, I don't know.  I'd like to avoid the clean uninstall/reinstall process if I can.  Since my normally scheduled scan set for 2am Saturday mornings didn't occur overnight, this morning I power cycled my PC and McAfee came back active.  When I click "Navigation", "About", the only thing I see different is a 12/3 update of the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware component to version 19.0.2043.  Is there a definite way to check if my issues are indeed resolved?  I really don't want to have to wait another week to find out, and I'd rather not mess with my scheduled scan settings.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Then it seems doing a reboot allowed your update to install/ take effect. Todays latest Anti-Virus Engine Version is (2819.0). Click on Navigate/About/and see if this is indeed the case. Also if your status shows that 'Your Computer is Secure', you should be okay.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_30293
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes that all checks out, so I guess I'm good to go for now.  I'm not sure what caused the initial issue with the update, but McAfee sure was locked up yesterday.  Thanks.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

In certain instances a simple 'Reboot' will allow the software to complete. Always allow your programs to load entirely and filter through your system. If you wish, you can initiate a Scan yourself as well. So can we consider this thread answered?

Glad that all is okay

Al the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community