cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Escana
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Update installation error

Firstly can I say I am not a techie person in the slightest but just looking for some simple help re a problem I have been having lately.

I keep getting messages on my laptop that McAfee cannot install updates yet my computer is secure.

I have tried manually updating, same problem.  Downloads updates but installation error.

I installed the virtual technician today and it came up with this but everything else was ok.   ( I have  windows 7.)  Thanks, Chris

DAT and Engine                   1 DAT / Engine update                        
                                DAT not Up-to-date                                
                            Expected :
                              Existing: 7381
                                Engine Up-to-date                                
                            Expected : 5500
                            Existing: 5500
                  Top Issues                                       OK                    
                            Top Issue:  Corrupt DAT issue
14 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Update installation error

There may be an issue with the update server but I would recommend you uninstall and reinstall your software following the instructions http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331 and be sure to use the MCPR removal tool after uninstall.

Login to your online account and install your software

Let us know if this resolves your issue

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 15

I would have to agree with Tom, as I was about to suggest the same thing. I noticed that your MVT log displayed (Dats). Is by chance your McAfee Product supplied by your ISP? For the latest Version 12.8xxx,updates differently by using "Engine Versions",opposed to Dats.

That seems more so in-line with the (11.6xxx) Version?
Wishing you the best of luck,

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Escana
Former Member
Message 4 of 15

Thank you.  I will ask someone with some knowledge to help me to do that., although I am sure it is quite simple.

Escana
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

Thank you.  No, my McAfee was purchased through an installation on my Acer desktop some years ago.  I extended it to 3 licences and use it on here too.  The desktop is fine btw.  Another thought is that I seem to have McAfee Security Scan as well which I may have installed in error.  Could they be competing?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

You are Quite Welcome.  As Tom suggested, please post back your results.

I am certain you are quite capable,and up to the task.

Best of Luck....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 15

if you are talking about "McAfee Security Scan +" You can safely remove it from your "Programs/Features" As it is merely a Marketing Tool, with no protection capabilities what-so-ever. Sometimes one if not paying close attention,will Download/Install with Adobe Flash inadvertently. Simply in the future, uncheck the (Optional Offer) Don,t feel bad, I have even done so myself.

You said your McAfee Subscription came with your machine.

May I ask what your Affld: # is please?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Escana
Former Member
Message 8 of 15

May I ask what your Affld: # is please?

Sorry I am not with you?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

By Opening your McAfee UI/About/ and under your features you will have a Affld: #. If purchased from McAfee directly (Which is my case) it reads...Affld:0. The primary reason for my asking,is it seems you are still on a older Version.

Even the Current 12.8.957 Version is due in the near Future to Update/Upgrade.

I apologize if I was not clearer, in asking my question.

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 5/22/14 8:10:16 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

Please know that should I not reply back in due time. It is not intentional, instead is due to my most recent Cardiac Surgery. I find my energy levels to be sporatic, as I must try and get some more rest. I wish you the best of luck,in solving your issues.

I will be back later on, during the meantime you are in very capable hands, with the knowledgeable Moderators-Forum Tech. Should you require further assistance.

All the best,

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community