cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richter_scale
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Unwanted Virus Scan Behavior

I started having this problem about a week ago ... every night when I start doing some work on my computer, it locks up completely for quite a long period (at least 15 minutes or so) and I finally found the common denominator. In the lower right system tray in Windows XP, I see an animated circle with arrows at each end, rotating around and around (red on a gray background, like the McAfee "M" icon), and when I hover over it, I get a popup message that reads "Installing McAfee Virus Scan: Started." The whole time while this is happening, my machine is totally locked up and I can't do anything; as soon as the little animation stops, everything works again. This never happened before, so why is it happening now? And, more importantly, how can I get it to stop? I have VirusScan 13.0, SecurityCenter 9.0 and Personal Firewall 10.0. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
9 Replies
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

RE: Unwanted Virus Scan Behavior

You can disable it happening. But that will stop you from getting daily McAfee updates.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

The updater does seem to grab quite a bit of the machines resources. A lot depends these days on your installed memory (RAM). How much do you have? The minimum recommended is 256mb, but I would say these days that 1gb is more realistic.
It also depends on what other applications you have running.
richter_scale
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

I do in fact only have 256mb, but I don't understand why this seemed to just start happening. I've always used the computer about the same amount of time, at the same time of day, for a long time now. I understand that it's important to get the latest updates, but is there a way to set this to download at a different time of day? I have my Windows updates set to run in the middle of the night so it doesn't affect me in this way. Please let me know. Thank you.
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

You cannot schedule an update. But you can disable the automatic update and then select the suitable option from Security Center-> Configure-> Automatic Updates-Advanced.
richter_scale
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for the information. Any explanation as to why this has just started to become a problem for me in the past couple of weeks, when I have had this computer and McAfee products for several years?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

I can only assume that, as time goes by, the updates become larger and perhaps they've crossed a certain threshold...? Only conjecture. Perhaps Luke you have an idea?
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I think upgrade of McAfee from 8.1 to 9.0 could be one cause. Also for 256 MB RAM is the minimum requirement, You atleast should have 512 MB RAM for the pefrect sychronization and perfomance of all the programs.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

Security Center 9 certainly uses fewer resources and as far as memory is concerned that is the easiest way to improve performance on any PC.

I remember that I used to have 512mb only (256 x 2 DDR) and I increased that to 4gb (1gb x 4) and the difference in performance was amazing.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

But then it provides lots of updates on a daily basis.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community