cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GWE
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Unexpected error when try to scan

Hello--When ever I try to do a manual scan I get a error box saying "an unexpected error occured go back to home page and try your scan again.  Predictably when I try the scan again I get the same message.  Does not matter-quick, full or custom.  It is also not doing any scheduled scanns.

Tried Vtch which found errors, fixed them but this is still occouring.  I want to do a reinstall like I want a hole in the head!

Any ideas short of reinstall?

3 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unexpected error when try to scan

Even though MVT found and fixed the errors you have mentioned there still must be something that is corrupted and that is why a fresh installation is recommended.

Try to uninstall the software and reboot the computer. Go to Useful Links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool and reboot again. Login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software. If you still have problems then Technical Support needs to get involved.

By the way you did not mention when this problem first began.

GWE
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I have it set to do a full scan every other week and the last scan was March 30. When I looked into the issue I found I was getting the error message every time  I tried to scan manually.  After updating the program manually it now seems to be working, however, MVT finds and fixes a registery error when I run MVT.

As an aside-how often should I be running the MVT program?

Here is a copy/paste from the MVT log:

Registry                1 Registry key(s) incorrect                     
                                Expected Registry Value not Present                               
                                Expected : ini log txt trc
                                Existing : ini log txt trc wiki-publisher log1 evtx mui
                              Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration SmoothWritesExtensions

I also uploaded the entire log.

Message was edited by: GWE on 5/5/12 9:03:12 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

Have you contacted chat for your country ie go to useful links tab above and choose Technical services. Change country to yours and chat with a tech. They can assist you if that detection is a worry.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community