Did you mean: 
BigJ
Former Member
Message 291 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

BigJ wrote:

SPyron wrote:

Hey bigJ,

I've just double-checked to be sure, and yes, the subscription will be extended within the next 30 days to reflect 2 additional years. Sorry about that, thought this was from big-w!

Somer I have to ask again about my 2 year extended service. Has been 29 days now and still no extension. Has anyone got theirs yet? Again my reference number was 494003812. Thanks.

Jerry

Somer please read my post #289 as I am not about to wait another month!!!

Jerry

Koala2
Contributor
Message 292 of 317

Thanks Cosmo, found the form to fill in.

Offers ends on May 31 , so those who haven't claimed yet, get at it.

And once more sincere thanks to Lady Somer.

K2

rickjohn
Contributor
Message 293 of 317

Yes we used the CD

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 294 of 317

BigJ,

When I requested people to send me their contact information the online form did not yet exist. I was instructed to collect information and send it to my Customer Service team, who would manually process the requests. I don't know how many they had in queue, or how long it would take, but was assured it would be within 30 days.

Since then, McAfee created a webform to expidite these requests, and I know people who have filled out the online form have already gotten their extension. I will contact a Customer Service manager today and see if I can find out what the mix up here is. In the meantime, if you would like to fill out that form, it won't hurt anything. Here's the direct link to the form, and I'll reply here with the update when I get it later today.

http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/landingpages/datredirect.asp?cid=77953

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 295 of 317

ok, if you have a windows cd, you should be able to reinstall the windows audio portion.

When you go into device manager, you said there was no sound card listed, correct? We should be able to add hardware here and tell it we want to select our own driver. We'll need to know what type of sound card she has. Do you know the specs of the onboard soundcard? or even of the motherboard (I could probably look it up from there). What we're going to want to do basically is aim the hardware wizard at the windows cd for drivers.

Or, if we're very lucky (this is not usually the case in my experience with onboard sound devices), we might find a driver for that sound card from the manufacturer's website which will auto-install.

rickjohn
Contributor
Message 296 of 317

No, the sound device is shown under the device manager. I removed it through device manager and it was "reinstalled" with drivers when the computer was restarted.

The only info I have on the sound card is "SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio" with a Windows Driver.

When I try to start the Windows Audio Service the error code is 1067.

Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 297 of 317

You probably need to install the Soundmax drivers and software usually provided on a disk or available at the motherboard manufacturer's website or on the support page at HP or wherever for that PC..

On my motherboard which has built-in Soundmax 7.1 sound it's a separate installation altogether and installing just drivers alone or allowing Windows to install its own doesn't enable sound, you also need the Soundmax software.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/10 7:20:29 EDT AM
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 298 of 317

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too Ex_Brit.

What's the computer? An HP? If I can get the computer and model # I can probably find the driver.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 299 of 317

Just going from personal experience here - I format and install systems fairly often...I hate to say, and I noticed my Soundmax doesn't work until the software is installed as well as the driver.

As to why it should have been disabled is another matter.   Look for Soundmax in Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP), Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista/Windows 7) and see if it offers a repair option when selected usually under a button marked "Change" in that panel.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/10 7:46:15 EDT AM
ICEE
Former Member
Message 300 of 317

I went through the entire computer crash and burn thanks to the faulty DAT update (I posted previously).

Because my subscription was due to expire on the 10th of this month (May), I called McAfee customer service on May 4th, explained everything, and asked that the subscription extension be applied, or that my account be extended so that I didn't have to pay for something that the CEO of McAfee said I was to receive at no charge. (And yes, I already filled out the online form). I was under the impression that the person I spoke with understood completely that I did not expect any charges to be applied and that my account would be eligible for software updates.

I just opened my credit card statement, and McAfee was so kind as to charge me 165,750 Columbian Pesos, plus a Foreign Transaction Fee of $2.50. Total - $85.87 for a year's subscription of a 3-user suite.

First, I did NOT authorize the person I spoke with (in Columbia, maybe?) to charge my card. I also have auto-renewal turned OFF. Second, a Foreign Transaction Fee??? McAfee is a US-based company, isn't it?

Third - 165,750 Pesos (sorry - $83.37) for a one-year subscription on an existing account? Is that the going rate - roughly twice the normal price?

I then called McAfee this evening and explained everything to the woman in India that I spoke with. The end result? I'm supposed to get a credit at some point (funny how McAfee had no problem taking my money right away, but can't issue a credit as quickly), and now my subscription is showing as being expired as of the 9th of this month. The woman I spoke with didn't really seem to understand the concept of having the latest updates and I don't think she really cared. So no more updates until McAfee starts to actually process those 2 year extensions.

I would really, REALLY like an explanation of how this could have happened and when the extensions will be applied.

I've already filed a complaint with my credit card company. The next will be with the Attorney General and BBB in my home state.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community