Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 271 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Hey cosmo,

Sorry about my delay in response. I did actually speak with a customer service manager about this, and we think there was a miscommunication there somewhere. We're working on sorting that out, but in the meantime, if you'd be so kind as to private message me your full name, number, and email address I'll add you to my list and get your subscription extension taken care of.

cosmo1
Former Member
Message 272 of 317

Sorry Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper
Message 273 of 317

It is a common error wonder why it made but I answer to either.

cosmo1
Former Member
Message 274 of 317

It's made out of respect keeping the peace seems easier than making it.

Wobblyhead
Former Member
Message 275 of 317

Must be one of the few to still have issues with my PC.  About to give up, restore my PC to factory settings () and go to another AV vendor.  Have had some telephone support from McAfee team in India - despite being very friendly and helpful, they have yet to find a way to restore my PC to working order.  Latest advice is to perform a repair from XP Home disk, but given I don't have one (esp one with SP3) I'm not able to do this.  Last action was to run the sfc /scannow command, which failed to make any improvements.

PC boots fine, but complains (a) that Windows Defender failed to load, (b) fails to establish any connection to internet, (c) has no working drivers for most devices, (d) shows blank screen on Device Manager, (e) shows no user logged on and all processes running against a blank user name...

If anyone has any bright ideas as to how to fix this, I'd be grateful.  Have backed up all files, so likely to try starting from scratch very soon with W7 installation on an additional (new) hard drive and then copy any files I need across before wiping the original drive...

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 276 of 317

Hey Wobbly,

I have no idea what file(s) could have been damaged to cause the issues you're describing. I'll see what I can find out!

Scott3679
Former Member
Message 277 of 317

Hello Somer

I have had the worst experience of my life computer dealing with the McAfee customer service representatives. Finally after  at least a week I was advised that the only thing I could do would be to replace my hard drive, reload windows and then try to recover data off of the old hard drive and McAfee would pay reasonable expenses to have this done. That's fine...

I purchased a new hard drive this morning and attempted to load windows only to discover that because I have always upgraded my windows OS I only have a windows XP home edition upgrade disk. Because there is no licensed copy of windows on the new drive I can not install windows again. Stuck in a vicious circle here.

Can you advise if there is a way to locate the file that the McAfee program removed from my windows OS on the old hard drive.  If that is possible then if could copy it and then knew the correct path for it then I could save it on this computer, put the old hard drive in a external case with a USB plug and drag the file back to where it belongs.

Do you think that this is possible and do you have the path.

Microsoft's only option for me was to upgrade to Windows 7 and then try to recover my files of the old hard drive. The only problem is that Windows 7 requires a lot more RAM and an upgraded Processor before my computer would run it.

Hopefully you or someone could help me with this.

Scott

Message was edited by: Scott3679 on 5/10/10 6:41:10 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 278 of 317

Hey Scott!

I'd definitely like to try to help you here. I'm sending you a private message.

JACKANDJILL
Former Member
Message 279 of 317

Can I have personal help too?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 280 of 317

JACKANDJILL wrote:

Can I have personal help too?

See your other thread.  http://community.mcafee.com/thread/24775?tstart=0

Your issue is unrelated to the issue being dealt with here.  Noone is getting personal assistance but this issue was widespread so many people helped out with it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/05/10 8:48:00 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community