cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 91 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Mark, if you got it from another machine, can you boot to safe mode command prompt and do a copy? The syntax in DOS is like this:

copy D:\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32\

It might ask you to overwrite, but probably won't in your case.

MarkPot
Former Member
Message 92 of 317

That's what I did but after the machine still not working ok. I do get a desktop, but still no network connections, not able to copy/paste, etc.

When I look into the system32 directory I can see the svchost.exe file I copied.

Virginie
Former Member
Message 93 of 317

Hi Somer,

Well, actually my problem is solved !! The solution suggested by Peacekeeper did the trick for me. I copied the vschost file from my computer (I found it in the folder Peacekeeper indicated) into the system32 folder. I used Outlook to move the file (by attaching the file to an empty email and saving it under the new folder) as I could not copy and paste files. Good start of the weekend for me 🙂 Thank you for offering your help.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 94 of 317

My pleasure Virginie, and thanks to Peacekeeper for his brilliant idea!!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 95 of 317

Mark,

Can you check the permissions on the svchost you copied over? Also, do you get any error messages?

Tragedy
Former Member
Message 96 of 317

Arg indeed. Nope, I don't have a Windows CD, because my computer was delivered OEM... I was afraid it was going to come to this. And you're right about not getting it off the net. Any chance you'll be posting it here today? Or will that cause a conflict with Microsoft?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 97 of 317

I'm pretty sure it's a licensing violation. Can you do a search from DOS and see if one can be found anywhere on the drive? Here's the syntax:

dir svchost.exe /s /b

The search can take up to a few minutes to complete, depending on the number of files on your computer.

If you don't mind, tell me where you find them. Want to try and get the right one.

MarkPot
Former Member
Message 98 of 317

Don't get any error when copying the file.

The premissions on the file are:

Administrators - Full Control

Users - Read

"My Personal User Account" - Full Control

System - Full Control

Mark

Tragedy
Former Member
Message 99 of 317

FOUND IT!!! FOUND IT!!! FOUND IT!!!

I used the syntax you provided, and found it. Not in the usual place, though. My computer came up with this path: c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\svchost.exe

Weird place, but I copied that to c:\windows\system32 all the same and then my computer finally spoke the magic words "One file copied".

So I rebooted and YES!!! I have my blue task bar back, I can right-click the McAfee icon and my access to the internet has been restored as well. McAfee is already updated as we speak.

To all you people out there that still have trouble: just hang on in there!

To Somer: thanks for all the help and take care!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 100 of 317

Hooray!!! I'm so glad to hear this!!! Guess you'll have to change your username now.

Take care, and please let us know if we can help in the future.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community