Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fryems
Former Member
Message 71 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Slight issue with booting off windows disc :-

I do not have one... (My laptop came with a recovery partition)

The recovery partition works like a windows disc, so usually I would have been able to restore old windows system files, then, boot from there. However for some reason it is skipping that choice at the moment, I have a feeling its due to the amount of reboots I had when i was trying to figure out my problem.

BUT

I can get hold of a windows disc off a friend.

so hopefully all will be a'ok

Cheers

Message was edited by: Fryems on 23/04/10 07:47:55 CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 72 of 317

Hey Tragedy, good morning.

So the feedback from some of our customers (that svchost wasn't copying over for them, or the tool was giving an error) has been heard. A new tool is in testing, no ETA yet. We're urging people to use the manual steps until the new tool is released. I've also been checking on support, and they're still working through these although there is a hold when you call. McAfee is giving free support for these calls, so a lot of people are calling.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 73 of 317

Ok, Fryems, I'll wait to hear back from you. Hopefully a new tool will be available soon and I can post that up. Your case is a little different, since you're getting blue screens, but I think if we can just get you booted that a regular solution will help. Also, if you get access to a Windows CD you can run recovery console.

Tragedy
Former Member
Message 74 of 317

That's good news! So okay, I'll hang in there until the new tool is available. The manual steps are no good to me anymore, since I already used the first tool (SDAT5958_EM.exe). Hope the new tool will take that into account as well!

By the way: will you be there for the entire day? Not to disqualify any of your other colleagues, but for some reason you seem to be the one that keeps everyone posted on a regular basis. It's comforting to know that at least somebody is thinking about us

Fryems
Former Member
Message 75 of 317

FIXED IT! woop!

"Just Checked recovery partition, seems to be working now, seeing if it reinstalls the stuff correctly.

Fingers crossed"

Message was edited by: Fryems on 23/04/10 08:07:13 CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 76 of 317

I'm just the mouthpiece, but thank you so much for the kind words! Yes, I'll be here all day, and possibly into the night if needed.

msbabb
Former Member
Message 77 of 317

My computer will not boot in ANY mode, I've tried everything and it just goes back to the screen telling me Windows is trying to reboot, which mode do I want to use. I have tried SAFE Mode with pressing F8---nothing happens. Any suggestions? I am so frustrated, having to borrow my son's computer.

quazimeto
Former Member
Message 78 of 317

Are you using a wireless keyboard?  If so, it is difficult to get the computer to boot into safe mode, because the wireless driver has to load before it will recognise the keyboard.  So, you will be hard pressed to do a safe mode boot.  Find a wired keyboard, and you should be OK.

MarkPot
Former Member
Message 79 of 317

Still having issue with my computer. I've tried all solutions found so far:

Delete the DAT folder, and restore the svchost.exe

Removed Mcafee with the MCPR.exe tool

SFC / scannow (runs but detects nothing)

If I look into my Windows\System32 directory the svchost.exe file is there, but when I look in my taskmanger process list there is not a single svchost proces runining.

I do have a desktop with a taskbar, but don't have any network connections, can't copy/paste, etc..

Anyone got any idea's of what I try next (really don't want to reinstall the PC)?

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 80 of 317

Fryems: I'm so glad to hear this!! If I can personally do anything else or answer any other questions, please send me a message.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community