cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 161 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

I also was unable to fix win xp i tried everything. I could restart win xp but i was not able to copy files the only thing i was able to was looking my pictures. I was cut of from the internet and i could reinstall the driver because win xp did not execute anymore. At last my harddisk stopped working. I bought a new one €65,- had to go to a repair shop because my bios didnt work properly this costed me €25, - al together not so much but al the work you have to do i thin k mcafee shoulf compensate financialy this is the only way to let them learn about this mistake or give a free update for 2011.

And the cute letter from the CEO??? wel i guess i only signed the paper and didnt read it because when you read it i guess this is a men with no feelings at all .

cosmo1
Former Member
Message 162 of 317

Followup to lexicalk: Thanx, It looks like things are working again. When i got the svchost.exe file into system32 I did get a message that I needed to put the sp3 disk in as your file was not compliant with regard to date, but as I cannot find the sp3 disk I just clicked ignore and did a reboot. Screen looks ok and McAfee seems to be upating so apparently I have internet acces too.

That was of great help. THANX AGAIN.

McAfee seems to be running again.

@Somer: I have three files now SVCHOST.EXE marked as in quarantine.

One says W32/Wecorl.a, W32corl.a     21-4-2010 18:30:49

the other W32/Wecorl.a                    21-4-2010 18:30:55

the third is svchost.exe  W32/Wecorl.a  21-4-2010 18:30:41

What should I with these?

There is another in system32 but that seems to be the one that is active.

Thanx.

user_78840
Former Member
Message 163 of 317

Dear fellow non-techy 5958-victims,

I am so surprised... after spending hours and hours, and borrowing a laptop from a friend, and more hours, and try calling customer support, and hours, and try to get help from chat-support, and more hours.... i think my desktop is finally fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did it for me was nr 106, i found an old svchost in the uninstall-folder. And i am very happy that after almost 3 days i can finally get on with my thesis.

Still, i find it very annoying that the mcafee-site didn't offer the right solutions themselves, that they never mentioned anything about this whole situation on the dutch homepage and that a lot of us had to spend so much time trying to find it ourselves. And what i find even more unbelievable is that customer service in the Netherlands is closed for the weekend. I mean, there are probably a lot of people who don't have acces to another computer, how are they supposed to fix their problems now?????

Shame on you McAfee!!

And good luck to all of you who are still in trouble....

Message was edited by: unbelievable... on 4/24/10 8:18:38 AM CDT

Message was edited by: unbelievable... on 4/24/10 8:36:42 AM CDT
songsmith
Former Member
Message 164 of 317

Hello all.

Like most of us I'm still waiting for a simple, automatic fix for this problem. To be honest, I'm not happy about getting into command line modifications. I pay McAfee to keep me out of situations like that... As I mentioned before, I've got no copy paste or drag and drop and, the problem being on a netbook, I've no cd drive either. I believe that a downloadable  autorun .exe file via an usb key might be the only way for me to use any fix from 'McAfee House'.

So, that's a message for Somer and her colleagues, please don't forget to provide appropriate solutions for all the different variations of hardware that we have out here.

As to my future with McAfee - I'll stick around. A couple of years of free service sounds like an appropriate apology and I'm presuming that this cock up will alert McAfee to the necessity of testing updates on all platforms - preferably in house, rather than after sending it out...

As I say, sounds like a reasonable apology - but only as long as this situation gets fixed VERY quickly.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 165 of 317

FAQ TS100969 has links at the bottom to free phone support for problems linked to the bad update only

Available in most major countries.

Might be worth a try.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100969&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777216&turl...

apuka
Former Member
Message 166 of 317

Hi.

I really need someone to tell me what I have to do /STEP BY STEP/ if I was able to delete McAfee from my notebook but not able to run any program or install enything from usb because no internet connection.

Thank you.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 167 of 317

apuka, as you are in the US I believe there is free support available as follows:

Getting Phone Support
If you are uncomfortable running these steps, or would prefer assistance, McAfee is offering free support to resolve this issue. Call our US support lines at 1-(866) 622-3911 and select Option 1.  For local numbers in other countries, use TS100975 Customer Service Contact Numbers.

ELECTRIFY001
Former Member
Message 168 of 317

Hello Apuka!

See my 119th post in this topic.

If you need the svchost files, i try send your e-mail adress. I don't know, it is possible.

Bye: Gabor

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 169 of 317

Just a note here, don't post any email addresses.  Instead use the Private Messaging system.

Thanks.

ELECTRIFY001
Former Member
Message 170 of 317

Okay, i send him private message.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community