Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickjohn
Contributor
Message 301 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Hello,

The main problem I have is that I can't start the Windows Audio Service. The computer is a Dell Dimension 2400. I checked out the driver available on the Dell web site, using the service tag info for her computer, and it is listing an analog driver for an ADI 198x Integrated Audio device.

That's not what shows up for the sound device in the device manager.

I would think that even if I have the correct driver for the correct sound device it still won't work if I can't start the Windows Audio service.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 302 of 317

ICEE,

You're right, this is NOT how we normally do business. I apologize for this mix-up, and we'll get you sorted. I'm going to send you a private message in a moment requesting some additional information. please reply and I'll get it over to one of our Customer Service people to sort your account out. Thanks for bringing this to our attention and giving us the opportunity to fix it!

ICEE
Former Member
Message 303 of 317

Hi Somer,

I have replied to your message.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thank you.

marya
Former Member
Message 304 of 317

I also am experiencing problems with this issue.  I have spent two days on the phone and chatting online with McAfee.  My issue has still not been resolved.  I had to go to chatting online because I could not understand any of the people I was speaking to.  None of them seemed to be very knowledgable about the issue.  Here are my issues.  I do have the most current version of the DAT file now.  However, I am still having issues.  My wireless connectivity is sporatic.  I am unable to access add/remove programs.  My USB port is not working.  I cannot right click on my computer and go to properties.  From what I have read it seems like I need to restore my svchost.exe file.  I would really appreciate some help with this.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 305 of 317

Hi Marya,

You can download a tool that restores the svchost.exe file from this FAQ article:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969

Please send me a private message if this doesn't help you, and I'll see what I can do to help you with it.

marya
Former Member
Message 306 of 317

I am not sure how to send you a private message.  Your support person already tried this download.  He was unable to run it, because my dat file has already been updated.  However I am still having issues.

Peacekeeper
Message 307 of 317

To send a PM click on Somer's name and her profile will open On right side is option to send a PM.

marya
Former Member
Message 308 of 317

Thank you!

rickjohn
Contributor
Message 309 of 317

I guess that because I haven't received an answer to my last question we are on our own!

I turned off the Windows Audio Service on my computer and guess what..... my sound device didn't work.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 310 of 317

Hey Rickjohn,

Please check your personal messages. I'd like to get some info from you and see what we can do.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community