Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cosmo1
Former Member
Message 281 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Hi Somer and Dutch customers,

Thanks for all your efforts. The mail that the callcenter promised never came (I didn't really expect it to) so I looked at the McAfee.nl site to see whether they had made any progress in offering subscription extension and hey, yes there's a form to be filled out and an answer is promised in 3 or 4 weeks (seems a bit long if there are really only a few customers with problems). I thought I'd post this here as info for customers in the Netherlands. Don't wait for McAfee NL to contact you, apparantly they don't.

Somer you might care to come and help your Dutch operation to get their thing together. They could do with someone like you . Amsterdam is great in Spring. It's great all year round as a matter of fact.

Cosmo1

lexicalk
Contributor
Message 282 of 317

Hi Somer,

I've been in contact with customer service via email, telephone and web-chat and they all said we'll be receiving an email from McAfee, however no word yet. We have managed to resolve the issues on all our affected PCs. Can you also add me to your list please?

I must re-iterate what cosmo1 said, without this forum, several users would have been even more upset. Good work!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 283 of 317

Wow, I'm stunned they haven't contacted you.

Sure, I'll get you added. I'll PM you some info.

lexicalk
Contributor
Message 284 of 317

Great, thanks! I'll look out for it. You've been very helpful

cosmo1
Former Member
Message 285 of 317

Hi Somer,

Further to my posting above and our private message exchanges, you won't believe it, but I just got a mail from McAfee NL from a no-reply-address asking me to fill out a form. I had already done so (see above) and although there may be a mixup of mailaddresses, I'll leave it as it is.

What can I say but "Somer rides again"...................

Have you done the impossible and given them a wake up call? Power to Somer!!! Thanks again, I think I'll just sit back and wait and send in no further forms.

Thanks for you help.

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 286 of 317

hi jerryc6

If u r using home edition of mcafee then u can try these steps but if u have the mcafee small business or mcafee corporate edition the u need to get in touch with 1-800-338-8754 or you should be posting regarding that product in the Business forums: http://community.mcafee.com/community/business/system/tops

Message was edited by: kumaravel on 5/23/10 9:36:54 AM CDT
rickjohn
Contributor
Message 287 of 317

I've been helping my mother (mostly long distance) get her computer back operational after it was affected by the 5958 DAT file issue. After trying all of the fixes we were able to get it going again by using the repair console. We could not get any of the other fixes to work.

Everything appeared to work OK except now she has discovered that the sound does not work.  The sound card is integrated on the motherboard and it does show up in the device manager. Removed it from the device manager to reinstall the drivers which the computer did.

Looked under services and found that the Windows Audio Service was not running. When I tried to start it I get an error message that it could not start the service due to a missing file. No mention what the missing file is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 288 of 317

This is the information I found on the Windows Audio Service. As you can see, it relies on svchost.exe as well. You said in your post that you ran a repair. Were you prompted for the Windows XP CD? Do you have a Windows XP CD?

Service NameAudioSrvProcess Namesvchost.exe -k netsvcs
Default Settings   XP Home   : Automatic   XP Pro   : Automatic
Microsoft Service DescriptionManages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If this service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
DependenciesPlug and PlayRemote Procedure Call (RPC)
Real World DescriptionControls all audio functions. If you don't have sound capability, disable.
Is this service needed?

Possibly  

Recommended Setting:

Automatic

NoteUpdated to reflect SP2 changes.

I'll also do a little more research on my side of things and see what I can find out.

BigJ
Former Member
Message 289 of 317

SPyron wrote:

Hey bigJ,

I've just double-checked to be sure, and yes, the subscription will be extended within the next 30 days to reflect 2 additional years. Sorry about that, thought this was from big-w!

Somer I have to ask again about my 2 year extended service. Has been 29 days now and still no extension. Has anyone got theirs yet? Again my reference number was 494003812. Thanks.

Jerry

BigJ
Former Member
Message 290 of 317

BigJ wrote:

SPyron wrote:

Hey bigJ,

I've just double-checked to be sure, and yes, the subscription will be extended within the next 30 days to reflect 2 additional years. Sorry about that, thought this was from big-w!

Somer I have to ask again about my 2 year extended service. Has been 29 days now and still no extension. Has anyone got theirs yet? Again my reference number was 494003812. Thanks.

Jerry

Somer I just called the 1-866-622-3911 number for U.S. and talked to a guy named BRIAN OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT and he told me I have to go to McAfee .com and fill a form out and then within 30 days receive 2 year extension Have waited 29 days for this run around now. McAfee seems to be backing out of there 2 year extension as no one told me I had to fill out a form. Have simply had it with McAfee and you told me I would receive it. Thanks for nothing.

Jerry

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community