Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 261 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Hey Wobblyhead,

Can you please send me a private message with your contact information? I'd like to get an agent to examine why the tool didn't resolve your issue.

Wobblyhead
Former Member
Message 262 of 317

After online web chat support was unable to help me fix my PC, i was promised a callback from Tier2 support within 24hrs.  Guess what ... the call never happened. 

Perhaps you can chase them for me.  I've PMed contact / SR details.

Madasabrush
Former Member
Message 263 of 317

Yeah. I spent two days trying everything to sort out the problem. I even contacted McAfee chat who failed to tell me what was going on.

I found out about it on CNN and also the help links.

These didn't work. The Dat file failed to operate, the svchost file deleted straight away and shut down the pc again, and McAfee av wont run cannot be deleted or uninstalled cause they installed it as a system file.

Its 12 days now and still a dead PC.

When I used an external drive to transfer files Mcafee attacked it as an attempted virus source and shut down the USB port.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 264 of 317

Madasa,

it sounds as if you used an older DAT recovery tool. Please try the new one? It should replace the svchost file. If it does not work for you (because it can't find a backup on your computer), we can express ship you a bootable CD.

1. From a working computer, download http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/tools/SDAT5958_EM.exe and save it to a removable media (eg: CDROM, floppy disk).
  2. Start the affected computer in Safe Mode (When booting, press F8 and choose Safe Mode).
  3. Take the media with the new file and insert it into the affected computer.  
  4. Open My Computer and double-click the removable media you saved SDAT5958_EM.EXE to.
  5. Double-click the SDAT5958_EM.EXE tool.
  6. Click Next to begin the Wizard, then click Finish when prompted.
  7. Restart the computer normally.
  8. After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 265 of 317

I'm looking into it! Thanks Wobbly!

karladam
Former Member
Message 266 of 317

Thanks Somer, for responding. First time I hear from anyone at McAfee making sympathetic noises. Replied to your private message. Karl

synchroman
Former Member
Message 267 of 317

Check my post #251on 29 April 2010, it may help.

cosmo1
Former Member
Message 268 of 317

Hi Somer,

Your intervention helped insofar that I got a call last night from someone at a callcenter in Bulgaria (!!!) who told me I could solve my problems by visiting the McAfee site and follow the instructions given there. I made clear that fortunately, thanks to the US website and help from you and for instance Peacemaker I had managed to solve the problem and get things working again and that she should tell her managers for the Netherlands - on whose behalf I suppose she was calling - that faster assistance (then two weeks after the cause)  would have been helpfull, all the more so as she did nothing more then point me to the site. She offfered me 3 months of free subscription. When I told her that in the US McAfee was offering 2 years, her reaction made clear that she was obviously aware and that she was just stonewalling. Management here has not decided how they would solve the problem with regard to customers subscribing through providers. I would be able to find out at a later date by visiting the website. I told her that I was not prepared to look for information on the website but expected to be informed by email.

I'm just telling you this so that you may inform the powers that be how McAfee is looking to give service outside of the US. After 2 weeks of troubles McAfee in the Netherlands have obviously not yet given the idea of compensation a thought. Customers in the US should count their blessings.

Regards.

Message was edited by: cosmo1 on 5/4/10 4:04:51 PM CDT
DLMyRBD
Former Member
Message 269 of 317

Regarding internet access- I was able to connect using "Firefox in safe mode" and "ie with no add-ons". I uninstalled the AV, ran the cleaning tool, downloaded and reinstalled McAfee. So far so good. Tell people to look in the start menu for these browsers. they might get lucky like I did and connect. Good luck, everybody!   Dave  forgot to tell you I did a system restore to d-day (april 21st) and then used a safe-mode browser.

Message was edited by: DLMyRBD on 5/6/10 10:55:08 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 270 of 317

Cosmo1 thanks fro the update Hopefully Somer reads this. BTW name is peacekeeper

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community