Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 241 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Hey Steve,

Sorry this took a while, but I wanted to look over your case information before I decided how to proceed.

From the continuing symptoms you describe it seems to me that you still don't have a restored, working copy of the svchost in your system32 folder. My first thought is to find one, or even see if one exists on the system.

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, press F8 during Windows startup. When you see the options, select Safe Mode.
  2. Press the CTRL, SHIFT, and ESC keys at the same time to open Task Manager.
  3. Click File, New Task (Run...).
  4. Type cmd and press ENTER.
  5. At the commant prompt, type the following command then press ENTER:

CD\
  6. Type the following command and then press ENTER:

dir svchost.exe /s /b

The search can take a few minutes to complete, depending on the number of files on your computer.

Example output:
    C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Heuristics\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe

I'd like to know the output you get from this search.

speedo420
Contributor
Message 242 of 317

thanks Somer, here are the results....

c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\svchost.exe
c:\windows\ERDNT\cache\svchost.exe
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe
c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
c:\windows\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe

I know that I and or the techs I have spoken with have copy the svchost.exe from dllcache and i386 with no improvement.

I could copy one from My wife's laptop which I'm still concern about and haven't shutdown/restarted since Monday or wait until I get this from Fedx from Customer Service

https://us.mcafee.com/root/ShippingInfo.asp?cid=77276

on 4/28/10 2:29:49 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 243 of 317

That's exactly what I was thinking Steve. I was thinking the version that got pulled in was a mismatch, and was hoping to see the dllcache one. But I believe you, so I won't waste time in that directly.

I can't advise you to take an svchost file from any other computer, as that would be a violation of Microsoft's copyright.

I can say that on your wife's computer, you can check the DAT version of her software. If she is running 5960 or higher, she is ok. Most of the users who got the 5958 DAT didn't reboot or scan right away, and got the fixed dat automatically 4 hours later (thus never having this problem). Check her version like so:

1. Double-click the M icon in the taskbar.
  2. Click Navigation.
  3. Click About.
  4. Scroll down to the VirusScan section and check the DAT version.

5960 or higher? Should be just fine.

So they're sending the CD out? Yes, it should be there soon. It's bootable, and has a clean copy of the svchost on it. I hate to delay you further, but getting the CD to you was going to be my next suggestion. I would like you to send me a private message when you get the cd, so I can make sure you're taken care of?

missteekie
Contributor
Message 244 of 317

I've edited my original post,  although I'm getting

Disk book failure:  insert system disc

It seems something to do with usb's ... now I've booted with a regular keyboard and mouse the machine is running.

I've really no idea what's happening now.

No need to reply.

Message was edited by: missteekie on 28/04/10 15:30:28 CDT
speedo420
Contributor
Message 245 of 317

seeing that McAfee is waiting be restarted, seeing that there are updates that have taken place since Monday it won't allow me to see what DAT version it is using but when I got to c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\dat\

the folder in that directory is 5965.0

so from what you told me, her laptop is OK to restart, correct?  laffs, sorry I'm still a little gun shy

as for me I will wait on the disc that is on the way to me and will keep in touch,

thanks again.....

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 246 of 317

Steve,

Your wife's computer should be totally fine. Only 5958.0 was the issue.

Wobblyhead
Former Member
Message 247 of 317

I've read various threads about this problem and not sure if i've seen a solution to what i'm seeing.

After many failed attempts, I was able to boot my Mesh PC into Safe Mode (I have to get windows to partially load and then turn PC off, on next boot it recognises an incomplete boot and asks if want to boot into Safe Mode).  I followed the usual instructions (using the SDAT wizard) and appear to have svchost restored.  When I then boot normally,I do get a Start button/task bar, but (a) most services are not running so I have no network, (b) i get a message saying Windows Defender cannot start.  Looking at the processes in Task Manager, none of the processes have a user name.

Is this still a problem with svchost.exe or is it something deeper?  As far as I know, nothing else has been able to run to cause this.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 248 of 317

Hey Wobbly,

Where did you get the copy of svchost? It's possible you  got an older copy from an install directory or something, and it's just a version mismatch. It sounds as if you have some driver issues. I'll do some looking around and see what I can find for you.

Wobblyhead
Former Member
Message 249 of 317

Hi,

the svchost came from the %systemhost%\ServicePackFiles folder (I believe).  It was not in the ...\dllcache.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 250 of 317

That's probably an older copy. Hmm... Can you get into a command prompt and do a search for me? I'd like to know what svchost files are on the system. Here are the steps.

1. Press the CTRL, SHIFT, and ESC keys at the same time to open Task Manager.
  2. Click File, New Task (Run...).
  3. Type cmd and press ENTER.
  4. At the commant prompt, type the following command then press ENTER:

CD\
  5. Type the following command and then press ENTER:

dir svchost.exe /s /b

The search can take a few minutes to complete, depending on the number of files on your computer.

Example output:
    C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Heuristics\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe

I'd like to know that output.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community