Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigJ
Former Member
Message 231 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

SPyron wrote:

Hey big-w,

I'm unsure why they haven't called you yet (probably just volume), but I'll report that to the escalation manager. I apologize for the delay. Maybe I can help? There was an updated tool posted Saturday for this issue which is having freat success. Here is a link: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969

Please let me know if this resolves your issue, and please private message me your name, email, and phone information so I can add you to our customer service list and extend your subscription.

Hi Somer just wanted to ask you a quick question. I talked to a lady named Beryl who said my subscription will be extended sometime within the next 30 days. Should it take 30 days to show on my account? My current expiration date is 6-22 2011. She said it will say 2013 within 30 days. Just want to make sure it is going to happen. My reference # with her was: 494003812 if that helps you. Thanks

Jerry

big-w
Former Member
Message 232 of 317

Somer:

Thanks for the kind offer of asisstance.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that any of those solutions will work in my case.  When my PC boots up, it goes to the screen offering me the choice of going to setup, or booting from a CD ROM or HD--if no choice is made and I attempt to enter Safe Mode, I get the standard menu asking me which on of the boot up options I would like (Safe mode, safe mode with command mode, etc.), unfortunately no matter which of those choices I choose, I am left with the incessant loop of reboot, reboot, reboot.

My PC came with restoration discs that incorporate the OS, but they also state that everything will be lost from my C drive if I choose to continue!! (This was discovered during the course of the conversation with the first McAfee technician, who promptly escalated my call to the next level).

-Big W

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 233 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file - Compensation?!!

Hi Karen, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've forwarded your information and the situation to our Customer Service management team, and will see what I can do to get that taken care of for you.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 234 of 317

Well, I'm sorry about the delay in callback, but I understand why they wanted to escalate that. Let me see what I can do to get that escalation sped up for you. If we have to, we'll get you a bootable CD. I'd just like one of our upper tiers to have a crack at this before we delay you any further.

big-w
Former Member
Message 235 of 317

Somer:

Thanks!!  I hope I can get this fixed soon.

Big W

BigJ
Former Member
Message 236 of 317

Hi Somer hope you saw my question in post 230 for you. Have to go to work now but hope you have an answer for me. Thanks

Jerry

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 237 of 317

Hey bigJ,

I've just double-checked to be sure, and yes, the subscription will be extended within the next 30 days to reflect 2 additional years. Sorry about that, thought this was from big-w!

big-w
Former Member
Message 238 of 317

Somer:

Just got off the phone with the higher level tech person.  After going through a few things, he said that the start-up file in my operating system is now corrupt.  He advised me to call the PC vendor (Acer) and ask for a OS Repair disc--as the PC only came with a recovery CD that would wipe everything from my hard drive.

When I called the vendor, they said they had no such disc.  They offered to put me on to a fee/minute subcontractor who might be able to help me.  I turned that down.

I called a local PC shop, and they said the best they could do would be to remove the personal data, wipe the disc, and reinstall everything.  That would cost $160.

What should I do?

-Big W

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 239 of 317

Hey Big-W,

what was the case number? I'd like to take a look at the case. Can you send that to me in private message please? Thanks!

speedo420
Contributor
Message 240 of 317

I know I might be impatient, I thought I would post here and see if anyone has any ideas while I wait on a tech calling me back in the morning I hope

Like many others I have spent countless hours holding on the phone in hopes with a solution.  before I picked up the phone I tried everything on this Document with no visible results.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969

Nothing seems to have changed for me. the computer still boots, but I have no taskbar, IE along with Firefox doesn't work, Im not sure what else. In my case I copied the file file like this....

Copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\svchost.exe to c:\windows\system32

I spoke with a tech person who had me try the same things listed in your memo/Document ID TS100969 besides he did have me delete the c:\programfiles\mcafee\virusscan\DAT folder even though it was not the 5958.  With no results I was told that someone else would call me and I got this call earlier today and once again we went through the same steps!!  then I was told again I would be contacting by yet another person.  I know this has caught you off guard and that everyone is working hard to help us all but it would be nice if the right hand was talking to the left hand.

I know it could be worse I have heard some users cant even get there computers to boot up.

In my frustration I email your Customer Service via email and got this response.

Thank you for contacting McAfee Consumer Support.

We have recently opened a Service Request for support based on the information
you provided us at our support website. Below you will find the details of this
request for your reference.

-     Order #:
-     Service Request #: 494849566
-     Created Date: 04/27/2010 13:52:24
-     Description: grrrr.I have done every suggested here.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx.9&cid77223

This link doesn't work for me and I did a search for 7723.....I have yet to turn off my wife's laptop with the fear of it too having the problems I'm having on my computer

thanks for any an all help, suggestions.....

Message was edited by: Steve Langdon on 4/28/10 1:38:21 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community