cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
missteekie
Contributor
Message 221 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Many thanks Somer,  I am receiving communications from McA direct to my account email address and I can see you \ we are all in a developing situation.   I am very impressed with the direct communications for offers of help and I'm sure provided we all know which direction to go in,  this situation will be resolved and people will have restored faith in McA products.

big-w
Former Member
Message 222 of 317

Unfortunately, I cannot open Safe mode.  My only options are setup, or do I want to boot from a cd rom or hard drive. Very limited options...

kam2503
Contributor
Message 223 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file - Compensation?!!

I'm in complete sympathy with all of us who have spent hours trying to resolve a problem caused by McAfee not testing their updates before downloading it automatically (as recommended by them!)!!

I have since had enough after spending all Saturday, Sunday pm and yesterday afternoon otherwise I will throw the laptop out of the window in frustration!

I am now waiting on a 'higher lever' of technician phoning me back between 9.30am and 10.30am tomorrow, Wed 28th April, to resolve the issue as following their instructions didn't work! All I can say it that it had better work and not result in me losing files etc!!

I am also going to write to their head office detailing how many working hours I have lost - bear in mind I am self employed and can do without this hassle - and ask for compensation for working hours lost, cost of phone calls to the 0906 number (£1 per minute!!) and a refund of my annual subscription to a service that I am clearly not getting!!

It would help if there were more people prepared to demand from McAfee recompense for loss of earnings etc. 

Thoughts???

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 224 of 317

McAfee is automatically awarding 2 years subscription extension free to all people who contact support on this issue and reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.  You can discuss that with the technician but I think that part is arranged by Customer Service.

Telephone Customer Service

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call 020 79490107. You may be asked for your registered email address and order number. Telephone charges may apply.
Estimated wait time: 10-30 minutes
Hours of Operation: 09.00-18.00 local, Monday through Friday

Not sure what that 0906 number is you mentioned.

I'm assuming you are in the U.K.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/04/10 8:26:20 EDT AM
kam2503
Contributor
Message 225 of 317

Well, the 0906 732 0028 number is the premium number that is chargeable at £1 per minute if you need to speak to a technician and was given to me by Customer Services - who did not mention compensation or reasonable expenses! Well, they wouldn't would they!

As for a free 2 year subscription - do I really want it??? Thinking of speaking to friends/colleagues and see what they use. I just renewed my subscription on 31st March this year anyway.

I have the addresses of both the UK office and Corporate HQ in the US so a letter will be hotfooting it to Mr David DeWalt, President and CEO!! I have lost 6 working hrs today, 4 hrs yesterday and probably all am tomorrow waiting on the technician calling me to fix the problem so I am looking for payment of around 14 hours of lost time spent trying to fix my laptop! The very least they can do is recompense me - it is their fault!

missteekie
Contributor
Message 226 of 317

Hi Karen,  as I'm a non-tech person,  my immediate reaction is OH MY PRECIOUS PHOTOS ..... thankfully just this April's folder, since all else is backed up on a separate usb hard drive.

But in my blind panic, when there was no way to save anything: transfer to another computer, usb hard drive, burn, hard drive partition - I decided to get professional help.  Good fortune was one my side, since the techie spent a long time just saving individually those photographs,  which saved me from a REFORMAT, by which time he got the information about what was happening.

The point I want to make,  is for people NOT TO REFORMAT,  particularly home users to the restore factory settings.  For the moment all (as I experienced) remains safe of the machine, but you just can't get at it.

Message was edited by: missteekie on 27/04/10 07:48:47 CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 227 of 317

Customer Service should be up to date on compensation procedures by now so contact them again  about at least getting your money back even if you don't want to extend your subscription.

Just tell them you have 5958 issue.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 228 of 317

I'll take care of it for you Mick!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 229 of 317

Hey big-w,

I'm unsure why they haven't called you yet (probably just volume), but I'll report that to the escalation manager. I apologize for the delay. Maybe I can help? There was an updated tool posted Saturday for this issue which is having freat success. Here is a link: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969

Please let me know if this resolves your issue, and please private message me your name, email, and phone information so I can add you to our customer service list and extend your subscription.

big-w
Former Member
Message 230 of 317

Somer:

This saga is never ending!!!  I was told by McAfee last week that I would be called yesterday (Monday) at 7:00 AM (Didn't happen), then a follow up phone call informed me expect a call at 10:00 AM (Didn't happen), another call in, and I was told this time to expect a call at 12:45 PM (Didn't happen).  Finally I HAD to leave leave the house.  My wife got a call at approx 6:00 PM when I was out.  She was told by the rep. I would get a call this morning between 7-8AM.  That didn't happen.  When I called 866-611-2148 at approx 8:45, I was told I would get a call w/i 24 hrs.  When I asked to speak to a supervisor, that didn't happen.  I was then told by the same rep. I would get a call "As soon as possible."

Why can't McAfee have some serious customer service commitment?  Keeping one's word would be a start.  I am sooo frustrated with this whole terrible episode (As I'm sure you are as well)--but this lack of commitment really has me upset.

My record number is 4939755980.

Please help.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community