Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daydreamer
Contributor
Message 201 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Hi Peacekeeper,

Having just had a chat, all I was offered was a 6 months  extension, apologies and

a ring back to discuss further because I wasnt happy.

Hope others have more luck.

maruxa
Contributor
Message 202 of 317

Hi Somer and everybody, I have been reading and doing everything explained here and nothing works. I have just bought an iMac and intend to never ever make a new contract with mcafee... but in the meantime I need to recover all my files from my PC, how can i do this if the copy/paste functions do not work?

thanks for your help, i appreciate your efforts.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 203 of 317

daydreamer, please private message me your contact details. I'll check into this.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 204 of 317

hey maruxa,

The tool that is currently live should recover your svchost, which should restore those copy/paste function. Did you try the tool yesterday? (I just posted the last update around 2am CST on Sunday morning).

maruxa
Contributor
Message 205 of 317

Hey thanks for your prompt response, do you mean the link below? it leads nowhere? where can i find the latest tool? many thanks

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100975

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 206 of 317

hey maruxa, not that link. That's just a list of contact numbers for people who prefer phone support. Here's the link to the tool:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969

The tool and the steps to run it are just under the table with the pictures.

maruxa
Contributor
Message 207 of 317

Well I did already do all that with the very first version that I found on the Mcafee site on the 22nd, I did run the tool and then I was asked to delete de DAT folder. Up until there everything fine only it did not help the problem and I cannot open the M at all. Is this a new tool version? can I run it if I deleted the dat file (still on my trash bin but unable to restore it or remove it) Thanks again !

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 208 of 317

yes, it is a new version and it doesn't require that dat folder to be preset to work. All it needs is to be downloaded from a working machine to a thumb drive or cdrom. The affected computer needs to be booted to safe mode, then you can run the tool right off the cd or thumb drive. After it's done, you should able to reboot normally and update your mcafee software normally.

maruxa
Contributor
Message 209 of 317

i am going to try it right now, i let you know... thanks

maruxa
Contributor
Message 210 of 317

Somer !!! It is alive !! My PC is working again !! great thanks, I was truly desperate ! hope all is fine, greetings from Amsterdam

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community