cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cosmo1
Former Member
Message 191 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Thanks Sommer, so I just leave them there? Or delete them?

Peacekeeper
Message 192 of 317

I assume all is running Ok now and you have updated to 5960 or better now? The svchost was it the correct version for your XP service pack since you got it from the link provided by a poster you should ensure it is the correct version. The quarantined ones would be your files so restoring when you already have an active file might not work well.

I would leave them there for the time being.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/04/10 7:15:52 PM
cosmo1
Former Member
Message 193 of 317

Thanx Peacekeeper. Whether it is the correct version I suppose so, as everything works. I have meanwhile found my sp3 update, but it is a file on my hd and I just don't dare run it as something else might go wrong and I haven't a clue how to retrieve the svchost.exe file from there.

Gerard
Former Member
Message 194 of 317

THX Somer! I`ve tried a lot in the mean time but you part with the Automated Solution Tool did the trick!

THX again and keep up the good work!

Greetz from the Netherlands.

lcwhito
Contributor
Message 195 of 317

After detecting the DCOM crash on Thursday morning (UK time) I spent 3 days of trying to locate a possible virus. Had financial data on the infected machine and not wishing to reinstall XP and recover from backup I had one last visit to Google from a borrowed laptop – there were a few clues there after reading between all the adverts to fix & finally located that there was a possible problem with McAfee & so here we are at the community.

Proceeded as suggested & luckily the fix utilized the command line because as other contributors have the indicated most functions like copy/paste did not work. Did not delete the DAT directory but just renamed to DATtemp.

Unfortunately incorporating the apparent fix has introduced several failures:

1.    The task bar no longer contains the McAfee logo.

2.    McAfee is no longer shown in Program list from the Start button yet it is on the hard drive under Programs directory.

3.    McAfee no longer shown in the Control Panel List of programs so unable to remove.

4.    On starting Outlook the error message appears “The add-in “C:\Program Files/Alwil software/Avast5/ashOutxt.dll could not be installed or loaded”

This raises several queries:

1.    Am I able to delete the McAfee from the hard drive?

2.    The machine is currently being run without any virus protection so if I have to switch to another AV provider can I obtain a refund from McAfee?

3.    If I have to continue using McAfee when will a safe download be available & how do I download?

4.    Why was this update NOT tested prior to delivery??

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 196 of 317

This raises several queries:

1. You can uninstall from control panel or run the MCPR tool (for the home version, NOT the enterprise version).
  2. Absolutely! Call customer service here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100975
  3. The DAT that caused your issue was removed from production less than an hour after it released. A fixed dat was put into production about 30 minutes later (this prevented everyone who had NOT been affected from getting the issue). There is currently an automated tool to remove the bad dat, pull the svchost out of backup, and replace it to system32. You can get that here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969
  4. This I can't answer actually. I know we test everything, and have a rigorous QA process, but I personally am not privvy to what might have happened on this one. If I find anything out I'll let you know though.
songsmith
Former Member
Message 197 of 317

Hello Somer

I went to http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969&cid=77152 on an unaffected laptop and downloaded the automatic .exe file.

Opened my damaged laptop in safe mode (as myself and not as administrator.)

Popped in my usb stick went to it, double clicked it and off it went.

Now all appears well and back to normal though I've yet to test it all fully.

Thanks for this solution.

cheers

mick smith

Peacekeeper
Message 198 of 317

Remember to contact Chat and request a 2 year free extension to your subscription You are entitled to it if you have had this issue.

Koala2
Contributor
Message 199 of 317

And how do we contact "Chat" ???

K2

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 200 of 317

See Technical Support under Useful Links at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community