cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 181 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been around today! I've actually been working all day on getting everything ready for this tool:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969

There's a link there for a tool, and it's working, as long as you do all the steps. Give it a try and let me know that you're ok?

I will be on throughout the weekend periodically, updating information as I get it.

Thanks everyone!!

Koala2
Contributor
Message 182 of 317

Hi Magic Manager,

Your automated solution wont work for those that had the same prob as I had : no way to copy anything under windows! (No drag and drop facility)

So even for your tool people need to know how to copy the tool via the command prompt.

Message was edited by: Koala2 on 4/24/10 6:47:36 PM CDT
Sally
Contributor
Message 183 of 317

I was unable to restart my computer in safe mode using F8.  I had to go to run and type in msconfig.  My son and I worked for 1 1/2 hours to get the computer up and running properly using DOS commands that we learned as we went along.  I was not happy with the lack of support from McAfee.  I talked to the Geek Squad before I knew what the problem was and I had expected to spend a significant amount of money to resolve the "virus" issue.  I contacted McAfee by email and it took more than a day before they sent me a code to get into this community message board to post a message.  I hope that everyone is OK now as I'm not sure that I could recreate what we did to get the system up and running.

Sally

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 184 of 317

D'oh!! I'll add those steps in.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 185 of 317

Just checked, you shouldn't have to copy that file over. You should be able to just change to the directory/drive of your removable media and run it.

lordofnod
Contributor
Message 186 of 317

Hello everyone,

Here is my update! I have managed to fully restore Windows XP and McAfee to full functionality! I wish everyone good luck and I hope that McAfee presents some sort of compensation for this error.

Message was edited by: lordofnod on 4/24/10 8:27:48 PM CDT
cosmo1
Former Member
Message 187 of 317

Somer I'm glad you're back. I don't know if you'll be reading all messages posted during your absence, but I need an answer to the following before something happens again.

I've got things running but have the the following in MSC Files in Quarantine:

I have three files marked as in quarantine.

One says    SVCHOST.EXE  W32/Wecorl.a, W32corl.a       21-4-2010 18:30:49

the second  SVCHOST.EXE  W32/Wecorl.a                         21-4-2010 18:30:55

the third is   svchost.exe      W32/Wecorl.a                       21-4-2010 18:30:41

two written in capital letters. What should I with these?

There is another in system32 but that seems to be the one that is active.

I d/l the svchost.exe from  lexicalk (see above his/her posting) as it was nowhere to be found on my pc. When i got the svchost.exe file into system32 I got a message that I needed to put the sp3 disk in as it was not compliant with regard to date, but as I cannot find the sp3 disk I just clicked ignore and did a reboot and things are up and running.

You might care to tell McAfee Netherlands in cases like these they should be active during the weekend too.

Thanx.

Message was edited by: cosmo1 on 4/24/10 11:10:59 PM CDT

Message was edited by: cosmo1 on 4/24/10 11:16:57 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 188 of 317

First off, the svchost has to be the same version as your OS. You'll need to run a windows update at this point. Additionally, that copy of svchost might not even be in the right language (not to mention it's a violation of Microsoft's copyright to distribute it; if it wasn't, we'd have already done it).

If everything is running OK, and your McAfee software is running DAT 5959 or higher, you don't need to worry about those files in quarantine. All Windows needs is 1 working copy in system32.

nixonnic
Contributor
Message 189 of 317

thats my problem it keeps saying it aint something or another

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 190 of 317

Sorry, can you clarify? I don't understand.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community