I have no idea, sorry.

Koala2
Contributor
Message 173 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

HALELUJAH, HALELUJAH

My pjuter is working again.

Thanks a lot

Prob was that there was no svchost to be found on the normal location anymore.

The search via cmd dir did the job, even if it could be an older version, the machine WORKS.

I'll check MS update service (says everything in up to date)

But I do want to congratulate Somer Pyron for the efforts.

You should complete the knowlegde file adding the way people can search for svchost and then copy it tot the systemroot.Perhaps we can find an updated sample of svchost.exe on the net ? MS doesn't seem willing to let us find it.

Well, thats three days and lucky I have another computer in my office and my daughters laptop at hand here at home.

What was that about a free renewal of our subscription?

Message was edited by: Koala2 on 4/24/10 5:31:03 PM CDT
lordofnod
Contributor
Message 174 of 317

Hi everyone,

I managed to put the DAT tool and a copy of the svchost.exe file on to a CD. I inserted this CD into my affected computer, however, it is not allowing me to open the CD. Is there a method of typing a command for the PC to copy those files?

apuka
Former Member
Message 175 of 317

Hi.

Koszi Gabi de mar sikerult megoldani.

I did call tech support, and after 2 hours I got the help I needed.

I have to say that the management of this company is really poor, because the agent send me and email to help me in the process.He said that it is easier if I see the steps and just ask him if I get stock.

THIS IS THE LINE I NEEDED IN COMMAND MODE TO :

copy%systemroot%\sysytem32\dllcache\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32\

If I had this line I could have fix it 2 days ago. And tech support should have been inform already on Friday morning about the problem with the update and not asking me to pay even though I told them that 10 sec after the update the notebook crashed and the McAfee program is untouchable. Moreover, the email the agent send me should have been emailed to EVERY CLIENT on the first day, so many like me would have been able to fix the problem long time ago, and that would let the tech support to help only those who has no idea how to do it. It would have saved a lot of time and money for McAfee especially if they pay extra to the company when a lot of calls goes to tech support without paying.

This incident shows that the management is not a fast thinker and should make change to its top officers in order to be able to serve the client in the next time anything like this happens.

Rigards.

apuka
Former Member
Message 176 of 317

Hi.

Try this.

lordofnod
Contributor
Message 177 of 317

Thanks Apuka, but I have tried that already, and it doesn't work...

I don't understand why this last DAT didn't cause McAfee to produce a Dialog Box that asked you, what would you like to do with this file? Any other time that McAfee finds a suspect file it prompts the user: 1) Would you like to repair? 2) Would you like to remove? 3) Would you like to quarantine? 4) Ignore? 5) compare file hueristics with McAfee's Virus database?

I believe that McAfee should write code on all subsequent virus definition files that have these parameters. Whenever there is a suspect file, the user should be prompted as to what action it should take. I know this may seem rather foolish, but its better than the current situation.

Message was edited by: lordofnod on 4/24/10 6:28:56 PM CDT
Koala2
Contributor
Message 178 of 317

use copy under cmd if you know the path to your cd-drive.

Start in safe mode

Ctrl+Alt+Del brings up task manager if the rest doesn't work (no Start button or not working)

start a new task "cmd" bringing you to the command prompt

if your not in the root type "cd\ ENTER" which shoud bring you to c:\>

If you do not know the letter for the drive, trial and error type "dir d ENTER" then e, f and so on untill you get the directorylist you want.

Then use the above adviced copy line.

Hope you get there.

K2

lordofnod
Contributor
Message 179 of 317

Hi Koala,

Can you please type out that more clearly? I am not that experienced...Thank you

Koala2
Contributor
Message 180 of 317

Perhaps easier :

do the recommended search to find svchost on your CD :

as Sumer wrote : dir svchost.exe  /s /b ENTER

If your CD-drive is recognised you'll see how to get there.

K2

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community