cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 151 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Sorry about that Tuppy! I got a little buried and forgot to get back to you I guess! I'm going to check on your service request and see if I can't get that moving for you.

TedUK
Former Member
Message 152 of 317

I think I'm back in business now -- thank you!

Good luck to all.

Gina
Former Member
Message 153 of 317

Somer, my service request number is 492004145, at least I think that is my latest where they claimed they were going to call me within 24 hours.  Thank you for your help.  I know you must be exhausted!

apuka
Former Member
Message 154 of 317

Hi.

I have the same problem, but the truth is that when I called McAfee and asks them to help first they wanted me to pay even though  I told them that in seconds after the update my notebook died and I am able to delete any program except the McAfee witch is untouchable. So I had to ask for the supervisor, who gave me a 48h tech.support.

But when I talked to the support the person did not tell me that is a problem to many other user, and after more than 1 hour try he told me that someone will call me in 2 days. I tried to fix it myself and I was able to remove McAfee from the notebook, with the program from the company's website. 5 hours later I found the news on cnet, and I cannot do anything because the  McAfee in not on the notebook anymore. I tried many different way to reinstall but I can't.

Is there any way to fix this problem. The notebook is dead, even in admin mode tells me that cannot install.

Thank you.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 155 of 317

Apuka, give us a little time, I think we're about to have some new info.

apuka
Former Member
Message 156 of 317

Thank you

Peacekeeper
Message 157 of 317

Found this re the update issue- this from the Mcafee US web site. If you incur  a cost to fix it read the comment re reimbursement and note if you have  this issue and your PC was impaired contact Mcafee for a 2year  extension of your subscription.

No mention of Somers copy suggestion for svchost.

If you are  currently running Windows XP we recommend checking to  ensure you have the latest security update.

If you are one of a small percentage of McAfee’s consumer customers who  has an inoperable or severely impaired PC as a result of the faulty file  released earlier this week, we want to sincerely apologize for the  inconvenience.  Our immediate priority is to get you back up and  running.    

Here are the steps you can take.

Step 1 – Locate  a local toll free support number for your country.  A qualified  technician is standing by to diagnose your computer’s current status and  determine the fastest way to get you up and running again.

Step 2 – If the technician can’t get your system up and running over the  phone, we’ll get you the software to get your system up and running  again.   We can get you the software in one of two methods.  You can  either download  the software fix from a working PC, or we will deliver a CD to you  overnight.

If you have already incurred costs to repair your PC as a result of this  issue, we’re committed to reimbursing reasonable expenses.  Steps to  process your reimbursement request will be posted in the next few days.   Please check back here in a few days.

Because we value our loyal customers, if your PC was rendered inoperable  or severely impaired as a result of the faulty file released you are  eligible for a two year extension of your existing McAfee subscription  free of charge.  Instructions will be made available during your call  with the technician.  

We’re committed to getting this issue resolved for all our customers  worldwide as quickly as possible.      

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/04/10 2:31:02 PM
troyga
Former Member
Message 158 of 317

Followed all the McAfee advice and none of it works for me!

(Mcafee wouldnt start, SFC was throwing errors, and svchost was not in the dllcache)

Also almost no devices were working, ethernet adapter looked like it wasnt installed, and the USB keyboard didnt work, I had to go borrow a ps2 keyboard after logging in to windows picked up the USB hid device and installed it.

Thank you to lexical for ****************** I can't believe McAfee or MS didn't just host this file.

I booted to safe mode, got rid of mcafee, and copied the svchost in command line, restarted and now it all works! running sfc just to check mcafee didnt hurt anything else.

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron
Link removed: Sorry, this is a copyright violation. The McAfee tool will replace the file. on 4/24/10 11:32:46 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 159 of 317

Actually Somer commented re this could break Ms license. Will ask her when she wakes...I was going to remove that link as one can never trust links to exes on any forum but I decided to trust that poster.

cosmo1
Former Member
Message 160 of 317

@lexicalk

Now that's what I call help, posting those files. McAfee even the helpful Somers don't get beyond making us use workarounds and workarounds around workarounds. At least I have the infamous svchost.exe available. THANKS!!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community