cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
talon
Former Member
Message 131 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Thank you very much Gabor, with your advice I fixed the problem on my desktop in 20 minutes. Luckily my notebook (also XP) was not affected, so I could access the web and also retrieve the missing svchost.exe file.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 132 of 317

Hey Bill,

Yeah, this is a bit complex I know, but this is because Windows is not working right. The whole path is:

c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan (no spaces in there)

Reinstalling IE can replace the file that's damaged, but without network connection it's not going to work. It's possible that you don't have the file in the same location as some other people. I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help you get through the steps. Otherwise, we will call you back. I know you've been waiting a while, and I apologize for that, we're just working our way through the queue. What's your SR#? I'd be happy to check on it for you.

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron to correct typographical error in the path statement. on 4/23/10 4:40:17 PM CDT
msfodera
Contributor
Message 133 of 317

I have dat 5961 - however, my vpn connection from work is extremely slow.. reading emails and downloading files.  Only I am having this challenge in the office so I am assuming it has something to do with the host file.  Should I go through the steps that have been posted?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 134 of 317

No, I wouldn't advise that! If you were having this issue, you wouldn't get able to connect to your vpn. You might try restarting and reconnecting to your VPN. http://speedtest.net/ can give you an idea of your current download/upload capability. You can also try doing a tracert yahoo.com from a command prompt. It might show you where you're losing packets.

richardchli
Contributor
Message 135 of 317

What do i need to delete?

And also i dont see any folder called ''DAT''?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 136 of 317

the full path would be C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\Dat\

Clear out the DAT folder.

richardchli
Contributor
Message 137 of 317

Can i type it in cmd?

And wat should i put in cmd to delete DAT folder?

Tragedy
Former Member
Message 138 of 317

Hi Somer, I was considering changing my username from Tragedy to Victory when I finally managed to locate svchost.exe but now I stumbled upon Kim's remark that I probably invited more trouble by digging it up from $NtServicePackUninstall$? Up until now, my computer is running smoothly again, but am I in any serious trouble here?

SPyron wrote:

Gina,

Ok, we need to do a search. From safe mode, inside the command prompt, type this:

dir svchost.exe /s /b

The search can take up to a few minutes to complete, depending on the number of files on your computer.

Example output:
C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Heuristics\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe

So once you find one (the C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\svchost.exe is a good example), you're going to copy it to system32. It'll look like this:

COPY c:\windows\DIRECTORY\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32

(So to give you an example, COPY C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32)

Give that a try and let me know please?

That is a bad example - you shouldn't recommend the use of the svchost.exe file from the C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder.  This will just create more potential problem in the future. In short, by doing this you will create a mismatch of the versions.  The $NtServicePackUninstall folder contains files that existed prior to the install of a Service Pack.

Kim

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 139 of 317

Sure! In the command prompt it would go like this:

cd c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\dat\5958.0

hit enter

at the prompt type:

del *.dat

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 140 of 317

The one you pulled in is probably from SP2. Go to Windows update and make sure you're up to date. I believe it will reapply SP3.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community