Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Virginie
Former Member
Message 81 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Hi everyone,

I am joining in because after several attempts (uninstalling McAfee, replacing the infamous svchost.exe file, running the SDAT file, etc.), my computer is still not working and it drives me quite mad. I tried to reach the hotline but got disconnected after 20 minutes...

I don't want to lose my files, my computer is my worktool and I can not afford to lose everything I have on it, I really need to solve the problem asap. Can someone help me ?

lexicalk
Contributor
Message 82 of 317

Hi everyone,

Just want to share my experience on how I SOLVED THE PROBLEM. No doubt that this issue is going to affect McAfee more than it will us, the consumers of their product and service. I was bitterly disappointed that 3 of my machines have been affected and has brought my business to a standstill. Anyhow, these are the steps I tool to resolve the issue on all 3 machines:

1) From a 4th computer I download SDAT5958_EM.exe tool onto a USB drive

2) I also copied the svchost.exe file (from windows\system32 folder) onto the USB drive

3) Equipped with these two files on a USB drive, on each infected machine I booted up in 'safe mode' and ran the SDAT5958_EM.exe from the USB drive (as copy and paste did not work among many many other things).

4) Once the tool ran, I restarted the machine and then copied the svchost.exe using command prompt from the USB drive into windows\system32

5) I rebooted normally and all was fine.

6) I quickly updated my McAfee software, however I did get another system error related to 'DCOM'. I ignored this and let the system restart itself

7) To my delight, normal service resumed on ALL 3 PCs.

I hope this helps someone! I have hosted the files (SDAT5958_EM.exe and svchost.exe) here: *************************** Please feel free to download and I don't care what McAfee say, this has been my worst experience with a software vendor...ever!

I am a loyal customer and will continue to use McAfee, but only because Norton is resource hungry and I have paid for a 12 month subscription (and 3 licenses). Come renewal time, if McAfee HAVE NOT compensated me as a customer, Kaspersky can have my money!

@McAfee - you have brought my business to a standstill and have wasted a lot of my time. I will be even more aggrieved if senior management fail to apologies and compensate. You have let your customers down due to improper testing of updates. I hope whomever is responsible will accept full liability.

Regards

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron
Link removed: Sorry, this is a copyright violation. The McAfee tool will replace the file. on 4/24/10 11:36:31 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 83 of 317

Hello all,

More info to send out. First thing, if you ran through the steps and it did NOT resolve your issue, GET SUPPORT. Call us, chat us, contact us through support. We want to get a ticket open for you and get you escalated. We want to get your computer fixed. I'm still going to be here, doing what I can to help, but I want everyone to know there is support! You can find the phone number for your region, or a link to connect to chat, at http://service.mcafee.com (click technical support and follow the prompts for phone or chat).

Here are the updated steps to replace the svchost file, and a 2nd location to find a good copy from (if the 1rst doesn't work):

. Start your computer in Safe Mode (When starting press F8 and pick Safe Mode).

2. Open My Computer.

3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.

4. Delete the DAT folder.

5. Press WINDOWS + R key to open RUN window.

6. Type cmd and press ENTER.
   7. In the command prompt window type:

copy %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32\

If svchost.exe is not available, try below

Copy c:\windows\ServicePackFIles\i386\svchost.exe c:\WINDOWS\system32

9. Press ENTER.
  10. After the copy is completed, restart the computer.
  11. After the computer restarts right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 84 of 317

MarkPot:

I think you recovered an old or corrupt svchost. Can you boot to safe mode and try the steps below?

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode (When starting press F8 and pick Safe Mode).
  2. Open My Computer.
  3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.
  4. Delete the DAT folder.
  5. Press the CTRL, SHIFT, and ESC keys at the same time to open Task Manager.
  6. Click File, New Task (Run...).
  7. Type cmd and press ENTER.
  8. In the command prompt window type:

copy %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32\

(If the path above doesn't work, try this one)

Copy c:\windows\ServicePackFIles\i386\svchost.exe c:\WINDOWS\system32

9. Press ENTER. 
  10. After the copy is completed, restart the computer.
  11. After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 85 of 317

Hi Virginie,

Can you give me a little more detail on what state your computer is currently in after going through the steps? Did you get errors?

missteekie
Contributor
Message 86 of 317

Interesting point about wireless keyboards and the current problem,  my 'windows' button wouldn't work,  so no start menu or bottom task bar.

But..... I could access control, alt & delete to close down and get around some of my system.

The whole situation made windows quite unstable and flaky.

Where do I apply for compensation ... or free subscriptions to the value of the repair - £70

Very difficult to access the internet for a FIX and information, if this problem as it did, took out your internet connection and a lot more besides.  All my restore points & last known good configuration (safe mode)

But after about 10 years with McA unless I get some idea of compensation,  when the subs finish in November ... I'm not renewing.

My email address is ************  (where my account is registered)

These types of issues are OK if you have other computers,  IT savvy you can acces the computer WITHOUT McA  so you can fix the one that has it.... what situation.

Not a happy bunny.

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron on 4/23/10 10:56:25 AM CDT
Tragedy
Former Member
Message 87 of 317

Hi Somer, I tried the second location (and the first again) but my computer is unable to find the file.

Any other suggestions where it might be hiding?

MarkPot
Former Member
Message 88 of 317

Somer,

There is no svchost.exe in both locations (\dllcache and \servicepackfiles\i386).

I've copied it off a wokring XP SP3 machine (tried 2 different machine). No luck with both files.

I've tried to re-install SP3 but the system won't let me due to a service that is not running.

Mark

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 89 of 317

Hi there! I took your email address out of the post (don't want anyone to spam you), and I will give your email address to customer service to answer those questions for you.

In the meantime, are you still down? I'd like to help!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 90 of 317

Arg. Have you got a Windows CD? If not, I'd say it's time to call into support and get a ticket opened so they can replace that if needed. You don't want to go get it off the net because it could be a virus you're downloading.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community