cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
victorC
Former Member
Message 61 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Here is another one from Spain. Yesterday night (for me), my daughter's computer started rebooting without control. This morning, thanks to a corporate news mail, I found out that the isssue was due to the infamous McAfee 5958 DAT file.

I logged in and tried the tricks from the webpage. I could run succesfully the tool but nothing changed (still repeated rebooting).

At that time, I happened to notice something curious. When I unplug the wireless adapter, the PC is able to reboot normally and everything seems hanky-dory. The moment I plug again the wireless adapter, the PC starts rebooting again. Following this line of thought, to make sure, I rebooted once in 'safe mode with network connectivity' and, indeed, the PC kept rebooting. SO, at least in my computer, it has something to do with the network drivers or so.

Going on, I tried to copy the svchost.exe from the ServicePackFiles to System32 but I couldn't (I had a window telling me that it couldn't copy it because svchost.exe was being used). I tried also to run the sfc/scannow but the system couln't find it. I had a look at the registry too and finally did a full search in C:\ for the scannow file.. no success.

So, might it be that the svchost.exe is not the problem? I looked for it in the system32 folder and the file is not empty (properties says 14KB).

So, might be another file the affected one? I think (long time ago) that I didn't use any specific drivers for the wireless adapter (just plugged and played) so it might be using some Windows one.

Any suggestion? Obviously, I can run now the computer aparently without problems but no internet connection.

Thanks

Didier
Former Member
Message 62 of 317

unable to copy paste

Hi Somer, I have been trying all steps you mentioned in the previous messages. The McAfee update affected my computer such that I can't copy paste anything anymore.. I am unable to get the DAT file or to remove the old DAT file from the Virusscan folder. Is there any other way to tackle this?

Als tried Run -> regedit etc. but no joy.

Astounded
Former Member
Message 63 of 317

Re: unable to copy paste

Didier,

I would suggest that Somer provide you and all the other users with a definitive list of the cmd prompt (or DOS as it used to called ) entries. There are a variety of different ways even a change of directory can be executed.

For example, to change from the root (or lowest level) of you C: drive to the program files directory you can type

cd progra~1

or

cd "program files"

Unfortuneately I don't have the time to go through a whole tutorial, or get something slighly wrong. Its up to Tech Support.

Peacekeeper
Message 64 of 317

Hallmat

Emailed your the two documents in a doc form

stevie
Former Member
Message 65 of 317

Hi there,

I've done absolutely everything, but I'm still having problems. I've managed to replace svchost with an older version of the file (SP1), because all else failed. However, I've still got network problems. First, my computer boots very slowly and then I can't get a connection to the internet anymore. I've removed McAfee, but it's the same.

I'd like a solution to this very soon, McAfee.

Hallmat
Former Member
Message 66 of 317

Peacekeeper,

Thank you very much for the document!

Gina
Former Member
Message 67 of 317

I have tried all of the recommendations that have been given and am still unable to see the task bar or get on the internet.  I fixed one computer because I did not use the McAfee removal tool but since I have used that I am unable to use the other tool (5958).  McAfee is not working hard enough to fix this problem.  One of my computers has been down entirely too long.  If anybody has had success after using the McAfee removal tool, please post.

Fryems
Former Member
Message 68 of 317

This issue has been affecting my computer also.

• Was happily working on my Dissertation!
  • virus scan started
  • turned off computer
  • lunch....
  • came back, turned on...blue screen of death!
  • Started it again, following these instructions today, however my Computer refuses to restart in any version of safe mode ie.
    • Networking
    • Normal
    • Command line

This means i cannot access my computer using any of the ways mentioned. I do Computer science, and have saved my data (vital work), however the only possible way i can think of fixing this is by reinstalling windows, which is something i really really do not wish to do!

I wonder if anyone else has had the same as me (No possibility of any restart), and if there is a solution where I do not have to lose everything...considering my laptop spec, and programs already installed!

Message was edited by: Fryems (Spelling error) on 23/04/10 06:50:16 CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 69 of 317

Fryems,

You should not lose your data! Are you able to boot off your Windows disc? I'm going to paste the manual steps to recover this. We have a tool, but we've gotten reports that people got an error message running it, so we're holding off on using that and using the steps below:

Restoring SVCHOST.EXE on computers affected by DAT 5958 (For Home Users Only)

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode (When starting press F8 and pick Safe Mode).
  2. Open My Computer.
  3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.
  4. Delete the DAT folder.
  5. Press the CTRL, SHIFT, and ESC keys at the same time to open Task Manager.
  6. Click File, New Task (Run...).
  7. Type cmd and press ENTER.
  8. In the command prompt window type:

copy %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32\

9. Press ENTER. 
  10. After the copy is completed, restart the computer.
  11. After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.

If you are still unable to restore your system using the steps above, run System File Checker:

1. Click Start.
  2. Click Run.
  3. Type sfc /scannow, and click OK.

System File Checker will scan the system and attempt to repair the missing file. If System File Checker is unable to locate a replacement file, it may prompt  you to insert your Windows XP disk. Insert the disk to complete the repair process.

ALSO: If you call support, our agents will help you resolve this at no charge. I know there is a hold time, there are a lot of people calling, but that would be how to get a support agent to work on your case individually.

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron on 4/23/10 7:25:27 AM CDT
Tragedy
Former Member
Message 70 of 317

Hi Somer, welcome back! Any thoughts on how to proceed if the steps don't work (I posted earlier today - see reply 58). Thanks!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community