cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lordofnod
Contributor
Message 51 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Alright, I completed that step and restarted the computer. I attempted the sfc /scannow, and I received the same error message. What should I do next?

Message was edited by: lordofnod on 4/22/10 11:56:54 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 52 of 317

Open the CMD prompt again, and try running these steps:

1. Click Start.
  2. Click Run.
  3. Type sfc /scannow, and click OK.
  4. Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.
  5. Delete the DAT folder.
  6. Restart the computer normally.
  7. After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.
Tuppy
Former Member
Message 53 of 317

Hi

I removed Mcafee fully using MCPR tool, tested the download speed and it was no better.

So, I thought I would try a System restore to before this all happened which made no difference to internet access and speed but the offending DAT file was present, so, I restored again to the day earlier which has no sign of any DAT files but now the internet won't connect at all and when I try to rollback the restore the System restore tool just comes up as a blank window......................help!!!

When you diagnose the internet connection problem it seems to be something to do with "ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#" which I have no idea about.

Tried rebooting many times, tried running system restore from command prompt but it did nothing.

Now I feel like I am really stuffed.

Don't know what to do??

Thanks Mcafee you are driving me nuts!!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 54 of 317

Hey Tuppy. I don't know that the internet slowness/issue was caused by this DAT (that's not what we've seen with other customers). Regardless, you're having the 5958 dat issue now, so we've got to get that fixed. Here are the steps:

1. From a working computer, download http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/tools/SDAT5958_EM.exe and save it to a removable media (eg: Thumb Drive, CDROM).
  2. Start the affected computer in Safe Mode (When booting, press F8 and choose Safe Mode).
  3. Copy the SDAT5958_EM.EXE file to your desktop.
  4. Run the SDAT5958_EM.EXE tool.
  5. Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.
  6. Delete the DAT folder.
  7. Restart the computer normally.
  8. After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.

If you are unable to get access to a working computer to download the tool above, you can manually replace the svchost.exe file using the steps in FAQ article TS100970.

Tuppy
Former Member
Message 55 of 317

Somer

Thanks for reply but it hasn't helped yet!

I had all the standard issues yesterday and finally managed to fix them this morning (I am in New Zealand, so, it is 7.30pm now!), however, the internet connection which was great before the Mcafee issue had slowed down to just 0.2 Mb/sec on my affected desktop pc on last test whereas laptop on same connection showed 2.6 Mb/sec.  Everything else seemed to work fine.

I removed Mcafee and then couldn't reload because of the terrible internet speed - it timed out or gave up or something.

So, now I am stuck with a restored computer to Monday 19th before the issues but with no internet connection at all and no ability to do another restore as the system restore function starts but ends up blank?

I have no Mcafee virusscan folder, I appear to have an svchost file in system 32 along with a svchost (3) each 14kb, sfc \scannow doesn't do anything other than open a window and close immediately such that I can't see what it says if anything...............

What next??

thanks

Tuppy
Former Member
Message 56 of 317

Somer

Sorry - I forgot to say that I tried the the SDAT5958_EM.exe but wouldn't run and gave error "Unable to write to file"

Thanks

RichardN
Former Member
Message 57 of 317

Dear Somer, in the instructions http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969  please note step 3. "Copy the SDAT5958_EM.EXE file to your desktop. " - this is not possible since the copy fuction no longer works, not even in safe mode. Fortunately I just ran the file direct from the usb stick, and then the rest of the instructions solved the fault on my pc successfully.

As an ex-McAfee tech support agent, I really feel sorry for the callcentre guys now. And why is a warning about the problem and its fix still not posted on the McAfee.com homepage?

Tragedy
Former Member
Message 58 of 317

Hi Somer, well, I had a good night's sleep (this is The Netherlands, in case you're wondering about my strange hours) and decided to take a somewhat more relaxed approach to this issue. After all, none of this is your fault and I do very much appreciate your tireless efforts to get us all back on track. Kudos to you!

Unfortunately, the McAfee fix has failed to work its magic for me. As I said in my earlier reply, I was unable to copy the exe-file to my desktop, so I ran it from my USB instead. According to the SuperDAT log, the update process had been completed successfully (please see below). So then I moved on to removing the DAT folder from c:\program files\McAfee\Virusscan and did okay there, although I wasn't able to remove it from the Trash. Is that a problem? Could it be that the Virusscan is still connected to the DAT folder in the Trash? Because when I proceeded to restart the computer, I had no luck at all: McAfee was totally inaccessible.

This morning, I tried running the System File Checker, but I got nothing back from the system. No warning, no nothing. And I don't have a Windows XP disk, because my XP is OEM. I do have a Restore Disk, though, but very much like the McAfee disk, it refuses to run. Nothing happens.

So basically, I'm stuck in a dead zone. I have tried contacting our local helpdesk, but after waiting for 40 minutes listening to (again!) Für Elise and thus adding about 30 dollars to my phone bill, I gave up and decided I was going to put my money on you instead!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

My SuperDAT log:

Extracting Zip file from stub file, F:\SDAT5958_EM.exe.

Performing self validation ...

Retrieving file, NAISCRIP.NSC from zip file.

Loading and parsing script file : C:\DOCUME~1\Jeroen\LOCALS~1\Temp\1144\NAISCRIP.NSC

Retrieving file, Globals.nsg from zip file.

Loading and parsing globals file : Globals.nsg

Searching for all Installed anti-virus products.

Installing Anti-Virus files...

Retrieving file, copyfile.exe from zip file.

Replacing file...C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\DAT\5958.0\copyfile.exe

Retrieving file, svcextract.exe from zip file.

Replacing file...C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\DAT\5958.0\svcextract.exe

Starting application...copyfile.exe.

Starting application...svcextract.exe.

Deleting...C:\DOCUME~1\Jeroen\LOCALS~1\Temp\NAI4.tmp

Deleting...C:\DOCUME~1\Jeroen\LOCALS~1\Temp\1144

Update process completed successfully.

kronen
Former Member
Message 59 of 317

Somer Pyron said:

So  that said, here are the newest steps, including the sfc restore:

Restoring  SVCHOST.EXE on computers affected by DAT 5958 (For Home Users Only)

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode (When starting press F8 and pick Safe Mode).
  2. Open My Computer.
  3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.
  4. Delete the DAT folder.
  5. Press the CTRLSHIFT, and ESC keys at the same time  to open Task Manager.
  6. Click File, New Task (Run...).
  7. Type cmd and press ENTER.
  8. In the  command prompt window type:

copy  %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\svchost.exe %systemroot%\system32\

9. Press  ENTER. 
  10. After the copy is completed, restart the computer.
  11. After  the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and  manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.

If  you are still unable to restore your system using the steps above, run  System File Checker:

1. Click Start.
  2. Click  Run.
  3. Type sfc /scannow, and  click OK.

System File Checker will scan  the system and attempt to repair the missing file. If System File  Checker is unable to locate a replacement file, it may prompt  you to  insert your Windows XP disk. Insert the disk to complete the repair  process.

i'm sorry, but steps 1-11 are the exact instructions that messed me up yesterday.  i really wouldn't follow them.  deleting the DAT folder before running the downloadable fix successfully, from the broken pc's desktop as admin, must've added easily an extra 4 hours to my struggle yesterday to fix my computer (trying to figure out how to get them back from recycle bin).  my pc did not have a spare version of svchost.exe in another directory.  the file on my win xp sp3 disc was called svchost.ex_ (some kind of compressed version of .exe apparently) and wouldn't work.  that's why i got a mate to email me a good version.

Hallmat
Former Member
Message 60 of 317

Am I the only one who can't access the FAQ pages (TS100969/TS100970 etc.)?

When I click on the links I'm re-directed to: http://service.mcafee.com/Error.aspx. I have the same problem in both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community