cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_112035
Former Member
Message 21 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

at least you hace internet access. Mine totally isnt working in any way at all. Just waiting till tmr. If theres no solution. Im reformatting and switching to kaspersky. ftw baby

kronen
Former Member
Message 22 of 317

the prospect of reformatting makes me a very sad panda.  i been talking to a mate of mine that works as head of IT in the local council, he's been telling me to just uninstall this terribad security suite and hope that fixes it, then to get avg instead!  i'm just reluctant in case that makes it even more fubar.

swapped onto my laptop to try and use the live chat help service thing they offer, and i been waiting about 15mins so far for 'the next available representative'.  /sigh.

big-w
Former Member
Message 23 of 317

Originally I had the constant rebooting.  At present I cannot even get into Safe Mode (The machine just keeps on rebooting. I cannot choose last known good configuration--every choice prompts a constant reboot).

As such--there is absolutely no way I could update the DAT file.

My ONLY choices at present are to choose which drive boots first & the set-up menu.

EVERYTHING else is a continual reboot.

Any Help Possible????

-Wes

user_112035
Former Member
Message 24 of 317

it wont work. cause it already tempered with the critical windows file cause it thought it was a virus. No idea how an update like this got out to the public and passed all their initial testings.

Yeah should have known 6 months ago when Mcafee screwed up that the program is trash. This issue just confirms it.

Oh i went through the live chat. They cant solve our problem. Told me to give my number and a senior tech can get back to me. lol

kronen
Former Member
Message 25 of 317

marvellous.

i'd like to know what's happened to the official responses, there's been nothing new to help us for quite some time.  and seriously now, i do believe i need compensating!

user_112035
Former Member
Message 26 of 317

the last i got was that our problem wasnt heard of so they prob dont know what to do. A 1 year subsciption to kasperskty would make my frustrations go away.

They prob crash and burn like how Norton Antivirus is going haha

forum
Contributor III
Message 27 of 317

Dear all,

I do not know if this will work for others but after 2 long internet chats (first at 10 am, 2nd at  5pm) with McAfee technicians yesterday I finally checked the web and realized that my laptop crash was a larger problem than just me and started searching the web and found the answer myself when the technicans could not help --they may not have known even though it was posted on the web at other than McAfee sites earlier than my second chat.  I found the best explanantion of the problem and advice at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t311599.html .which was posted at 4 pm. Many other sites also offered good explanations but this one offred a solution.  Not being a techie I figured that I could try to copy the svchost file from another computer closeby.  So put a copy from a working computer on a flash drive.

As background, as a result of McAfee update, my laptop lost any network connection and any microsoft system tools operations (drag and copy, system restore etc.etc. etc.)  I could reboot and eventually see my desktop icons and access harddrive programs via icons with many errors popping up.  Also  no bottom toolbar.  The latter I could finally get by moving the mouse over the white strip area, rightclicking and choosing the toolbar.

Used the McAfee removal tool (MCPR.exe), obtained via a working computer, copied to a flsah drive and executed on the laptop via the flash drive to remove what McAfee files it could (Many errors but at least some of the files were gone) --this was to try to cripple McAfee software so it could discontinue or do less harm.  Then went to start, all programs, accessories, command and used the old dos (which was still working!) to copy over the svchost.exe file (from the flash drive) to the windows system 32 folder, rebooted, and in seconds computer was back in business with system tools working and reconnected to internet

Then:

Put on Windows firewall. 

Used windows remove tool (add and remove in control panel) to remove any McAfee programs (yes, there was still stuff there), did another uninstall with MCPR.exe and then searched for any remaining files using the explorer search tool.--These removal procedures are courtesy of a community moderator who recommended thorough deletion of files whenever I updated yearly.  Rebooted (also was asked to reboot at all of the deletion stages).

After rebooting, doublechecked to be sure the Windows firewall was still on.

Double checked to make sure computer was up to date on any crucial microsoft updates

For insurance used system restore to restore the system to the day before.  That is prior to any of the problem McAfee updates.  This was a way of trying to ensure computer was back to what was working windows wise, just in case other files were affected.

Rebooted and again doublechecked to be sure Windows firewall was on (When  reinstall McAfee it replaces the windows with its own firewall automatically)

Downloaded McAfee software.

This worked for me .

Hope all are up and back to normal soon.

ctpro
Former Member
Message 28 of 317

I agree, my client is going to be really upset when she gets my bill for the hours I've spent so far!!

whodatpat
Former Member
Message 29 of 317

I just need a computer that works.  At my office i have a team of 20 something people that keep our network, servers and laptops running and secure.  At home, I cant afford that team of people.  After last Summers Brick Causing Malware cost me all my personal data, I bought a Mac Mini to see how i liked it.  I was middle of the road until this.  Yesterday the software I bought to protect my PC killed it.  I can't even boot to safe mode.

I am not stupid, but if I had the desire to run diagnostics and fix major errors in PC's I may have chosen that as a profession.  I didn't.

Goodbye Mcafee, and Goodbye Windows.  Your just not worth the trouble, and in the end the "savings" versus Mac cost me too much. 😞

user_112035
Former Member
Message 30 of 317

well after 1 hr of copying my impt files to my new partition through CMD. yes cmd.

its goodbye windows xp, good riddance mcafee.

and hellloooo win 7 and kaspersky,

time to jump ship boys and girls

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron on 4/22/10 9:59:35 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community