cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ctpro
Former Member
Message 11 of 317

Re: Unable to use Windows after updating the DAT file

Any suggestions if the PC will not boot into Windows XP in any mode? Safe mode reboots during the driver loads and a regular boot gets to the Windows splash screen, flashes a blue screen and reboots. According to my client, she had just updated McAfee when this started.

Thanks

jerryc6
Former Member
Message 12 of 317

I was able to get svchost from another computer... its on my flash drive F:\ But i have no idea how to copy it into system32. I am not able to copy and past. Is there a way to do it with CMD?

user_112035
Former Member
Message 13 of 317

+1 to kronen

this is an epic fail. dont bother jerry. i copied the file through cmd from my laptop running xp sp3. didnt change a thing. still stuck with a useless com

kronen
Former Member
Message 14 of 317

thanks for trying to help!

i've successfully copied the sdat5958 exe to my desktop as admin in safe mode (with network enabled so i can view this page - however i also tried in completely offline mode earlier with no joy..).  so i've run the exe and i get the same error message as before - error: unable to write to the file.

from task manager, i have these things running:

cmd.dex

csrss.exe

explorer.exe

isass.exe

mcmscsvc.exe

mpfsrv.exe

pctsauxs.exe

pctssvc.exe

pctstray.exe

services.exe

smss.exe

system

system idle process

taskmgr.exe

update.exe

winlogon.exe

is one of these a mcafee thing?  if not, i don't know how to stop it running in the background - i don't have a systemtray so no icon to click there.  i've attached the most recent log file thing.

*edit* i googled some of these processes and mpfsrv.exe was a mcafee thing - ended the task and re-ran the 5958.exe and still the same error message

Message was edited by: kronen on 4/22/10 12:32:01 PM CDT
digitalecartoon
Former Member
Message 15 of 317

I checked an saw that I'm still using the 5957 dat file. So to be sure I deselected 'automatic update' in the security center. I'm using Viruscan Plus on a XP SP2 machine by the way. Don't know if that's relevant. The update .dat file 5959 should be the one to download I've read? Do I have to download and install that manually? Or can I just switch on 'automatic update' again and let security center find 5959 again?

user_112035
Former Member
Message 16 of 317

me and kronen have the same problem it seems.

this what the log says

4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Extracting Zip file from stub file, C:\SDAT5958_EM.exe.
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Performing self validation ...
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Retrieving file, NAISCRIP.NSC from zip file.
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Loading and parsing script file : C:\DOCUME~1\Bryan\LOCALS~1\Temp\1CE\NAISCRIP.NSC
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Retrieving file, Globals.nsg from zip file.
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Loading and parsing globals file : Globals.nsg
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Searching for all Installed anti-virus products.
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Installing Anti-Virus files...
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Retrieving file, copyfile.exe from zip file.
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    File C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\DAT\5958.0\copyfile.exe NOT REPLACED. File is in use and will be replaced after system reboot.
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Deleting...C:\DOCUME~1\Bryan\LOCALS~1\Temp\NAI2.tmp
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Deleting...C:\DOCUME~1\Bryan\LOCALS~1\Temp\1CE
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Error: Unable to write to the file.
4/23/2010    1:01 AM        Bryan    HOME-JRXCZ0EUZP    Update process failed.

kronen
Former Member
Message 17 of 317

jerry, my understanding would be that in cmd, you type

copy F:\svchost.exe C:\windows\system32

but i can't fix my own so i'd maybe wait for someone else to reply

kronen
Former Member
Message 18 of 317

bryan, i'm just wondering, have you already deleted your DAT folder from c:\progfiles\mcafee\virusscan?

I followed some instructions earlier that advised this, i wonder if it might have anything to do with the file in use message? i can't restore the folder from my recycle bin, nothing happens when i rclick and select restore, so i can't test this out.. unless - what is the recycle bin's path, for cmd purposes?  would it just be copy recycle bin\DAT? or would there need to be some lengthy path?

user_112035
Former Member
Message 19 of 317

yup i deleted the folder before running the tool. does your com have internet access still?

kronen
Former Member
Message 20 of 317

it has some access, in that i can browse the internet with firefox, but i can't use msn or log in on any mmo game, or say download a track on itunes or anything like that.

the recycle bin clearly doesn't have such a simple path as 'recycle bin' either i just tried.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community