cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musclebuster
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Tried to search for updates for McAfee LiveSafe, but the update function doesn't initialise.

Jump to solution

While choosing to manually search for updates for McAfee LiveSafe yesterday, I clicked on 'Check for Updates', and it went to start its search, but the next screen popped up with Completed 0% etc. - and then immediately goes back to the main menu without even initialising.

Now, even with Automatic Updates active, it shouldn't normally do this (I've manually checked in the past and never had this problem). So I ran Virtual Technician and it picked up some unresolved issues - product configuration XML file missing - for the following:

VirusScan 16.8.821

QuickClean and Shredder 12.8.710

SecurityCenter 12.8.992

Personal Firewall

Parental Controls 14.8.702.0

AntiSpam 13.8.716

McAfee Vulnerability Scanner 2.8.716

McAfee Home Network 6.8.721

Could the Updates issue be caused by this (for the record, I ran Vulnerability Scanner yesterday as well, and it worked fine)? If so, how do I replace the missing XML files needed? And if not, has anyone else had this problem and know what to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 13

Re: Tried to search for updates for McAfee LiveSafe, but the update function doesn't initialise.

Jump to solution

First and foremost, make certain you are current and up to date with Windows,to include Internet Explorer, McAfee and other important programs require it to be, in order to function properly.

Given the fact that MVT reported a "Product Configuration xml file missing. Short of contacting Technical Support. I would recommend that you perform a clean Uninstall/Reinstall. Remove from your Control Panel/Programs and Features first/Restart. Then follow up with the McAfee MCPR Tool/Restart.

Then you can go to your registered account and Download/Install. Let it fully load and restart one more time. How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...  I would also add,if you allow McAfee to retrieve anonymous files. It will automatically assist you to install features such as Safekey.

If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can always contact Technical Support 24/7, Via Phone/Chat being quicker. 

Finally, if you do not have your Windows Updates set up as (Automatic) the upcoming Tuesday is "Update/Patch" Tuesday. There will be a New Version of Adobe Flash Player also.

Please apprise us of your results, in case you require further assistance.

Wishing you all the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

12 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Re: Tried to search for updates for McAfee LiveSafe, but the update function doesn't initialise.

Jump to solution

Moved from Security Awareness to Virus Scan- By Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

First and foremost, make certain you are current and up to date with Windows,to include Internet Explorer, McAfee and other important programs require it to be, in order to function properly.

Given the fact that MVT reported a "Product Configuration xml file missing. Short of contacting Technical Support. I would recommend that you perform a clean Uninstall/Reinstall. Remove from your Control Panel/Programs and Features first/Restart. Then follow up with the McAfee MCPR Tool/Restart.

Then you can go to your registered account and Download/Install. Let it fully load and restart one more time. How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...  I would also add,if you allow McAfee to retrieve anonymous files. It will automatically assist you to install features such as Safekey.

If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can always contact Technical Support 24/7, Via Phone/Chat being quicker. 

Finally, if you do not have your Windows Updates set up as (Automatic) the upcoming Tuesday is "Update/Patch" Tuesday. There will be a New Version of Adobe Flash Player also.

Please apprise us of your results, in case you require further assistance.

Wishing you all the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
musclebuster
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

Ah, I see.

To both my annoyance (because I feel as if I'm wasting everyone's time) and joy (because of, well, what I'm about to say), the Update function suddenly kicked in when I tried it again not long after I posted my original query. Not sure why or of course why it stopped to begin with, but, well, yeah.

On the other hand, I'll look into un- and reinstalling LiveSafe via your link (seems drastic to me, BUT if it's via McAfee themselves doing it, then I'm cool with that). Bit sad that I have to resort to such measures, but there we go. Three questions, though: If I remove LiveSafe, does Windows Defender and Windows Firewall automatically kick back in as result during that time or do I have to manually start them back up again myself? Do I have to redo all my LiveSafe setting when it's reinstalled (probably a silly question, I know)? And would simply reinstalling via my McAfee consumer account without using the  MCPR work just as well?

Thanks very much for your help!

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

Actually in windows 7 you can safely leave it (Windows Defender) active if you wish.  McAfee turns it off on installation but in any system, except 8, Defender is OK to be turned on.   (In 8 it has an antivirus component so should remain inactive).

Mcafee uses part of the windows firewall so its service is running the McAfee install handles setting it up.

Re reinstall you need to first run the windows removal of McAfee to free up your licences and MCPR to clean up the bits left. Always a good idea to do the latter.

RE the setting some settings might be remembered but all allowed programs etc need to be reallowed as they are run.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

You are more than welcome Glad that all is okay now. It could be that there were "Server" issues that occurred in your initial attempt, and quite possibly MVT  (Did indeed) resolve them. Although as you stated, having to take such "Drastic" measures.

The primary reason I recommended such, in certain instances during an Update/Upgrade your Application can become corrupted. It seems that this is not the case in your instance. However,should the need arise, you have the Guidelines/Instructions available.

Also here are some Superb Tools to have at your disposal/Use. Especially McAfee Getsusp , simply remember to enter your Email Address under "Preferences" before scanning. It detects Suspicious/Unknown programs and sends them to the McAfee GTI Base.

Another excellent Tool you can keep on board to (Compliment) your McAfee Protection is Malwarebytes (Free) To keep it Free DO NOT accept any of the Free Trial Offers/or Activate the Pro/Paid Version all throughout the Download/Installation process.

Simply update before scanning periodically. It is a Superb (Second Opinion) On Demand Scanner, and is compatible with all Anti-Virus Applications. The following (Free) Programs can be obtained here:

I see that PK has addressed your other questions, and all concerned.

Again, All the best

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
musclebuster
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

Sorry for the late response, but...while preparing to go through the uninstall/MCPR/reinstall process, I quickly ran Virtual Technician just to make sure that there were issues - and now there aren't! I just...I don't know. Granted, I did receive some updates thanks to the Updater deciding to work again after its little snit...Maybe that fixed them? I honestly don't know, and now I do rather feel like I've been wasting your collective time.

However, I'm now aware of such issues and thanks to you and PeaceKeeper I now know just what to do if they become serious (I've bookmarked the links you provided), which is always a plus.

Thanks very much to both of you!

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

No problem that is what we give our time for even if it fixes itself you are as you say prepared.

Have a good day

floris237
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

Dear catdaddy,

Unfortunately I'm stuck with the same problem. My McAffee Livesafe Internet security version 12.8.992, does not want to update anymore. It stays on 0% when i manually start the update, even after 10 minutes. Therefore I tried to re install the program, through your advise. But when I try to remove the program using windows add/remove programs or Revo Uninstaller, I am not able to select which program I want to remove and am therefore unable to re install the program. Could you give me some advise on what to do with this issue?

Thank you in advance!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Don't ever use Revo uninstaller with licensed software.  McAfee has it's own removal tool but to release a license it's best to uninstall via Control Panel first.

What operating system and service pack is this?

Are you logged in as a user with Administrative authority?  See the link below for how to uninstall the software. Probably your best idea would be to contact Technical Support as they are free to phone or to use their online chat, see link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community