cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
isaiah5511
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Tracking cookies increase after each scan

The Security Center report shows an increasing number of tracking cookies. Meaning that after each scan the number is greater than previous. Checking the log, it says they were deleted. I don't think so. What's going on and how to I configure McAfee to remove tracking cookies after.during its scans.

I've looked at the "More Like This" links that showed up. Still new at this site and search hasn't been very productive yet.

From what I've read, the thought seems to be that something changed in McAfee. Also, the the Security Center report is cummulative. If the latter is so, it's definitely in the "what was someone thinking" category. This is the first time I've run into this with any suite I've used previously. I rather question that unless it is only so for selected items. I say this because, a trojan was found months ago and the count is zero with the currect scan and has been.

In the same vein, not having an option to allow deleting the tracking cookies automatically when found is not good. IMHO!

on 19/07/11 4:55:22 EDT PM
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Tracking cookies increase after each scan

I edited your second post into your first one.

If you are looking at the Security report it is cumulative since the last major SecurityCenter update.  Tracking cookies are how websites remember you and aren't necessarily a risk, but it's debatable I suppose.

You can tell McAfee to ignore them.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real-Time Scanning

Click Settings

Uncheck that item under threats (scroll down)

I have them unchecked and now have nothing in the Quarantine folders, whereas before they were packed and I have no malware issues.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/07/11 5:01:41 EDT PM
isaiah5511
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your merge and information. I guess that simplest way to approach what I'd like is this: Delete any tracking cookies found. Obviously, McAfee can find them and quarantine them. An option to tell the scanner to delete them is what I'm used to seeing and having. I check enough things already because I can't say, "Okay, delete if you find it." I understand about cookies, but don't wish to engage a debate over them.

Also, I think it rather silly to report the number of hits found since the last update to the program instead of the last scan. If someone thinks such information is useful, then at least give an m of n items found within a scan.

I've abandoned other suites over such minor issues when the the suite just adds one too many for my liking. It's not that I'm fussy. I used competing suites for a few years each before changing. I'm still in the early learning curve with McAfee.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

I tend to agree with you and there is a spot for product ideas here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas

Or if you have a spare machine you could subscribe to beta testing which is ongoing 365 days/year:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

There you could do that via Bug Reports.

malwarekilla
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

why dont u download ccleaner and clean up temp files and cookies.....

1.download ccleaner from here:

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

2.Double-click on the saved file.

3.Follow the on-screen instructions for installation.

4.then double-click on the shortcut icon on the desktop of ccleaner.

5.in the ccleaner window,hit run ccleaner and remove all the junk make sure the cookies option is ticked.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community