cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_102835
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Tracking Cookies

I've had McAfee Security Center for several years and keep it updated. I've noticed that for a long time now that it no longer finds and deletes tracking cookies. I've got the box checked to find and remove them. I've reinstalled security center recently and still it does not find any. I ran Superantispyware and malwarebytes because I was having other issues and it found many and removed them. Is this a problem with McAfee or are the tracking cookies the other programs found false positives. Here is a log file from a recent scan:
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@ad.m5prod[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@tacoda[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@unitedcountry[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@tracking.foxnews[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@atdmt[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@msnbc.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@advertising[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Crazy\Cookies\crazy@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Nanny\Cookies\nanny@maxserving[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Nanny\Cookies\nanny@microsofteup.112.2o7[1].txt
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: Tracking Cookies

It now only would remove them if they are regarded as a threat. That function can be done in your browser yourself without invoking McAfee.

Most people prefer to keep some tracking cookies as that is how the browser remembers to sign you into various websites such as this one.
user_102835
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for putting me at ease. I was just concerned that at one time it found a dozen or so everytime it ran a scan and for the last year or so nothing.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

I remember those days. Actually I used to find it annoying. But then each to their own.
Gary60605
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Re: Tracking Cookies

Hi,

I wanted to ask about tracking cookies my McAfee scans are counting up. Two scans ago the count was 1200 cookies. There were 3200 tracking cookies the scan before last and 4500 cookies today. The virus removal section says zero were removed. Are they building up really fast or have they been removed and the numbver I see is a cumulative count?

OR, if they are building this fast, how do I remove them???

Thanks,

G

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Re: Tracking Cookies

It's cumulative I believe but it depends on what version of software you have as to how they are removed, stored or restored..

Cookies aren't usually harmful and in fact are an advantage when browsing as it's how a website remembers you.

The latest VirusScan seems not to have any way of not detecting them unfortunately.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community