cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nbonadeu
Former Member
Message 31 of 41

Re: Too Many Files Crashes Full Scan

I had problem with McAfee Security Center. It started a complete scan, the it halted the windows 7. I asked for help to McAfee Support using chat. A guy, that was in a hurry, did not read my problem details, then sent me by email some steps to configure McAfee. I did them. Then, the problem continued. I answered a McAfee Costumer Feedback. So, I McAfee support person call me. Then, it was the same, the guy was in a hurry, did not listen  me, told me I have to call 1800 number and something like that.

The problem with McAfee Support Service: nobody knows what is happing, nobody cares about costumer problem, everybody wants to give any answer to customer and finish the task, does not matter if answer will help or not.

I think I will cancel my subscription, because the software is anoying and the support service does not exist.

Message was edited by: nbonadeu on 7/16/12 12:17:49 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 32 of 41

Does it stop at the same place or file type? Scheduled and custom scans can be told not to scan certain folders. IE ones that have been scanned before and not added to and that contain large avi/zip files. They can slow the scan down.

westonpk
Former Member
Message 33 of 41

Further Developments.

I've reinstalled more programs and brought back more data files.  I ran a successful full scan last night:

FullScan02.png

An earlier poster said his system had millions of files and Virus Scan worked for him.  I'm not there yet, but it's looking good.

This full scan was done with the external hard drive with my C: backup unattached.  The backup should contain whatever caused the problem in the first place.  Might be fun to try scanning with the extrnal hard drive attached . . .

Remember, I re-installed Windows and my programs and data to get to this point, which is a VERY radical "solution".

BTW, the values for Files, Cookies, Processes, Registry items, and Boot records do not add up to the Total value.  Either some count's not being displayed, or or one or more counts are inaccurate.  Just sayin' . . .

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 34 of 41

I think that the Chanel slogan 'share the mystery' might be appropriate answer to your BTW....LOL.   Glad it's behaving better now.

westonpk
Former Member
Message 35 of 41

Well, I ran a full scan with the extrernal hard drive attached.  It finished successfully after at least 10 hours, and actually found something:

FullScan03_01.png

FullScan03_02.png

FullScan03_03.png

FullScan03_05.png

I'm assuming Backup files 43.zip is from a system backup I did on 2011/08/27.  Unless I was running a backup, I kept the external hard drive unattached.

Up until it started crashing and burning, VirusScan always reported nothing found. Could this "low-threat" Exploit-FormatHTML virus hide that well and then decide to take down VirusScan?

BTW, the poster I mentioned earlier had only some 570,000 files.  Full Disclosure.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 36 of 41

That maybe a false finding.  How big is that zip file?

westonpk
Former Member
Message 37 of 41

Hi, Peter.

Backup files 43.zip has been moved from G:\PAULK_PC\Backup Set 2011-08-27 204603\Backup Files 2011-08-27 204603 to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine as 7dc715121e162150.bup.

The creation date for 7dc715121e162150.bup is 07/21/2012 at 6:31 PM, which is 7 hours into the full scan.  It is 198,146KB in size.  I don't know how that relates to the original file's size.  Should I restore it?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 41

Well, only if you think it might be a false finding of course, that was only a thought on my part.  You could restore it and use GetSusp which hopefully will detect it and auto-submit it to McAfee, or at least the file(s) therein that are being detected.

If the real-time scanner quarantines it again, temporaily disable VirusScan until you've finished submitting it.

See this thread I created on the subject:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Using GetSusp allows larger files to be submitted than by the normal email method but don't forget to insert your email address under Preferences if you want a response from McAfee Labs.

westonpk
Former Member
Message 39 of 41

I restored G:\PAULK_PC\Backup Set 2011-08-27 204603\Backup Files 2011-08-27 204603 from Quarantine, which Real-Time Scanning didn't flag.  Good news, bad news.

Then I downloaded and ran GetSusp, which flagged files from the L&G release of Java, from SQL Developer (which is an Oracle database development tool) and from my email program Eudora.  I realize Eudora is old but shouldn't VirusScan still remember it?

Another fun fact.  GetSusp scanned my C:and 😧 drives, but not my G: drive, whis is my external hard drive, which was attached when I ran GetSusp.

Let's see what happens when I do another full scan . . .

Peacekeeper
Message 40 of 41

Anything flagged is sent to mcafee so make sure your email is in the preferences

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community