Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westonpk
Former Member
Message 21 of 41

Re: Too Many Files Crashes Full Scan

Hi, Tony.

I have received no emails, no postings to this thread, no phone calls on my land line or cell, nothing. 

When someone does contact me, can he be current with my problem so we don't go back to square one?

What is different about selecting a full system scan (which "crashes and burns") and right-clicking my C: drive and selecting Scan (which works)?

Second question.  When I copied my .zip, .rar, etc. files to their own folders on my 😧 drive, scanning those folders ran fairly quickly.  If the files are getting unpacked when I scan those folders, what is taking so long during a full scan? 

Peacekeeper
Message 22 of 41

Unsure that is up to the techs to delve into. Reasking why no contact at our meeting tomorrow.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 23 of 41

Hi Westonpk,

Sorry for the inconvenience , we have sent you an email again for a follow up.  Please check and reply back so that we could follow up with you .

Regards,

karthiks
Former Member
Message 24 of 41

Paul,

I tried to call you in both the phone numbers but I was unable to reach, please reply back to my previous mail with you convenient  so that I can reach you back. Thanks,

westonpk
Former Member
Message 25 of 41

Hi, Karthik.

After running Tools specified, a full scan still failed.  The last time I checked, VirusScan had gotten up to 20% complete and over 120,000 files checked.  Also, the file counter "froze" at one point, but the number eventually changed.

FWIW, the error message display and the progress screen with the UNDEFINED Percent Complete disappeared after an unknown amount of time, instead of waiting for me to close them.

Selecting View Reports from the Total Protection screen shows the full scan you started and cancelled during the remote session.

Message was edited by: karthiks on 6/29/12 10:50:57 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 26 of 41

Good someone organised a session with you.

karthiks

When you sort it out please update me as well as to the cause and solution.

westonpk
Former Member
Message 27 of 41

I backed up my C: drive to an external hard drive, re-installed Windows 7 x64, plus a gazillion patches, and wiped my physically separate 😧 drive.  I re-installed McAfee Total Protection from my account and ran a successful full scan.  I reinstalled Visual Studion 2010, SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, a gazillion MORE patches, and my email client.  Another successful full scan.  Total scanned items count is in the 200k range, well above where McAfee was crashing and burning before.

By no means do I have all my programs and data files re-installed yet, but, long story short, it's looking good.  I will continue re-installation and full scans along the way. 

Stay tuned for further developments.

Peacekeeper
Message 28 of 41

I will. Did you ever take the offerred call?

westonpk
Former Member
Message 29 of 41

Yes, I did.

Karthik Shankar has been working closely with me for the past few weeks on this problem.  He has been very thorough and helpful.  The biggest problem was connecting, due to the time difference between Connecticut and India.

I apologize if I gave the impression McAfee was ignoring me.

Still re-installing stuff. . ..

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 41

Ok thanks good luck...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community