Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 41

Re: Too Many Files Crashes Full Scan

Hi westonpk, then I am stumped.  Tony has a point, although I use Win 7 SP1 its Ultimate.  I wouldn't have thought the Enterprise build would have made a difference, but one never knows I suppose.   Let's await the result of that enquiry.

westonpk
Former Member
Message 12 of 41

VirusScan on C:\Users\PaulK is still running after over 7 hours.  It's currently stuck at

McAfeeTanked15.png

I ran VirusScan by right-clicking on the folder and selecting "Scan".  No "official" errors, yet.

However, I ran a Custom Scan earlier, selecting just the Desktop.  I thought that's how I would get the PaulK folder.  Some interesting things popped up during the scan:

UnresponsiveScript01.png

UnresponsiveScript02.png

UnresponsiveScript03.png

UnresponsiveScript04.png

UnresponsiveScript05.png

UnresponsiveScript06.png

UnresponsiveScript07.png

The Custom Scan finished with no (?) problems, but VirusScan also came up with this:

McAfeeTanked14A.png

I Googled the IP address, and apparently, it's somewhere in the Phillipines.

If this wasn't so crazy, it wouldn't be this much fun.

I'm assuming SYSTEM is some sort of malware, or at best, a corrupted Windows component.  SYSTEM should be in the drive clones Tech Support took earlier.  If not, how do I send McAfee a copy of SYSTEM, and how do I get rid of it?

Maybe Tech Support was right, and I need to re-install Windows.

Peacekeeper
Message 13 of 41

Win 7 enterprise fine getting a tech to reach out to you.

westonpk
Former Member
Message 14 of 41

Thanks for having a tech contact me.  I need to get this resolved.

I'm currently running a Custom Scan of my PC, excluding .zip and other archives.  It's been running about an hour at this point and is at 25% complete.  Here's hoping . . .

10:09 PM EDT, and the Custom Scan excluding .zip and other archives finished successfully after about 5 1/2 hours:

McAfeeTanked16.png

Here's something odd.  When I ran dir *.* /w/s to get the number of files on my hard drives, the numbers (610,330 C:; 42,815 D:) sum to 653,145, not 674,931.  I guess there are files, and then there are files.

Anyway, the problem appears to be with archived files.  I know about .zip, .rar, and .tgz.  Are there any other archive file types I should know about, so I can copy them to my 😧 drive and scan them in sections to see when VirusScan chokes?

Message was edited by: westonpk on 6/18/12 9:21:22 PM CDT
westonpk
Former Member
Message 15 of 41

I copied all my .zip, .rar, and .tar/.tgz files into separate folders on my 😧 drive and ran VirusScan against each folder.  The .zip and .tar/tgz files finished with no problems.  During the .rar VirusScan, I got another set of the Unresponsive Script messages, as above.  Percent Complete reached 100%, but the scan wouldn't end.  After several hours, I pulled the plug.  The "scanning" file contains 52 weeks of .doc time sheets from 2006.  Nothing fabulously complex or involved.

Another odd thing.  The file count for the .zip and .rar file scans was one less than the file count displayed by Windows when I open the folders. 

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 41

The compressed/zipped files have to be unpacked and the constituent files examined. This is known to slow the scan to a crawl even on an otherwise fast system. Could be there's a problem specifically with the rar file type if the zip tar and tgz files scan okay. As for the file count, that probably isn't significant but, you never know, just might be. I'll leave that to the techs to puzzle over.

The unresponsive scripts could be a sign that they're waiting for some kind of okay-to-proceed signal. I believe Javascript gets processed sequentially, not in parallel. May need to check up on that. Of course it may just be that the scan is eating up all the system resources and the scripts aren't getting a look-in.

westonpk
Former Member
Message 17 of 41

I've never been prompted for anything during VirusScan before.  If you set things up to run automatically at 3:00 AM, wouldn't having to enter a response part-way through the scan be counter-productive?

I have no idea what the resource://gre/modules/ scripts are.  chrome://global/bindings/tabbox.xml:752 appears to have something to do with Google's Chrome browser.  I have Chrome, but I don't use it, and it wasn't open.

The second script (https://sadownload.mcafee.com/products/SA/SASN/sasnprotection.js:11) looks like it could be part of an update for Site Advisor.

I've had McAfee do an update in the middle of a full scan, which I thought would be done before the scan actually begins.

Are these unresponsive scripts part of VirusScan?  Peter mentioned earlier that McAfee's interface is Internet Explorer-based.  If not, how do I find out what's running these unresponsive scripts?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 41

Those messages aren't to do with Chrome, they're Mozilla messages so they're coming from Firefox. "sadownload" is SiteAdvisor, which regularly checks for updates.

Start Firefox in Safe Mode as per the instructions in the thread below. If you want to check whether SiteAdvisor is misbehaving in Firefox try disabling it and see if it makes a difference.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/823787

What XPCOMUtils does:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XPCOMUtils.jsm

The most likely cause is an extension or plug-in that doesn't play well with Firefox. You may have to disable them all and re-enable them in batches to see what the culprit is.

westonpk
Former Member
Message 19 of 41

I restarted Firefox with all add-ons disabled, per the first link above, then ran a Custom Scan.  I made sure all drives and file types, including archives, were selected.  Same results as before.  Apparently, the unresponsive scripts aren't causing the problem. Yay.

There doesn't seem to be a problem if I right-click a drive and select Scan.  However, I'm not sure what is being scanned.  I THINK it's scanning everything on the selected drive, but could someone verify/correct my assumptions? 

Scanning by file type doesn't seem to cause problems.  Scanning on an indiividual file, folder or drive doesn't cause any problems.  What is different about a full scan?

Peacekeeper
Message 20 of 41

Noone contact you I assume sigh?

I will chase them up  if not

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community