cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westonpk
Former Member
Message 1 of 41

Too Many Files Crashes Full Scan

When I run a full scan with Total Protection/VirusScan Build 15.0.302, DAT Version 6741, Engine Version 5400.1158 on my Win 7x64 system, the scan will suddently display

McAfeeTanked01A.png

Closing this window instead of clicking OK displays something like

McAfeeTanked11A.png

The Progress icon keeps spinning, but the Items count and the file being scanned don't change.

I've removed Adaware and Spybot.  I've reinstalled McAfee.  Virtual Technician says there's nothing wrong.  Chkdsk and sfc are both clean and green.  I removed files with CClean.  My Problem Ticket in Tech Support was upgraded to Tier 2 and beyond.

Tech Support's "solution":  I have too many files on my machine.  This can cause VirusScan to go into an infinite loop.  I need to reinstall WIndows and reload my programs and data.  In fact, because my machine is a bit old, I should probably go back to Windows XP.

I thought VirusScan was supposed to be a heavy-duty industry standard.  Too many files? Infinite loops?   

After searching the Discussion topics, I'm apparently not alone in this sort of problem.  Has anybody found a solution?

40 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 41

Re: Too Many Files Crashes Full Scan

How many files is too many? I have 670000 and it scans fine. Is it always on the same file?

Delete all temp files both windows and internet files and read

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/39690

He had same error a uninstall reinstall worked . When you did that did you do this

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall Mcafee

By then teir 2 or higher might have an answer

westonpk
Former Member
Message 3 of 41

I ran CCleaner to remove the windows and internet temp files, then removed and reinstalled McAfee per the instructions on your links.  When I ran a full scan after reinstallation, I got this:

McAfeeTanked12.png

Just for fun, I downloaded Virtual Technician and let it fix anything it found.  The second full scan after VT coughed up this hairball:

McAfeeTanked13.png

As you can see, it happens on different files each time.  This time, it's crashing earlier than my first post.

Since Tech Support has closed my ticket and said I have too many files and need to reload the OS to get my file count down to something "reasonable", I doubt they're going to come up with anything useful.

Suggestions, anyone?

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 41

You did not say how many files you had? Mine over 3 drives and if you wait I can ask the T3 techs who are on our (mod) call Monday what goes.

I see all on the Paul user folder.

I will ask via email as well that way he can think on it  before the call.

What hairball did MVT cough up you showed no MVT pic?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/06/12 8:15:39 AM
westonpk
Former Member
Message 5 of 41

Virtual Technician turned up and fixed an invalid registry setting.  I just ran it again and VT found an out-of-date DAT file.

After running dir *.* /w/s starting at the C: level, I got

Total Files Listed:

610330 File(s) 74,749,170,879 bytes

411314 Dir(s)  78,154,723,328 bytes free

For the 😧 drive, I got

Total Files Listed:

42815 File(s)  3,679,584,506 bytes

11417 Dir(s)  153,569,927,168 bytes free

Is it possible this is a permissions problem?  Should I try running VirusScan as Administrator?

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 41

Some thoughrts re this from 1 of our mods Hayton

Thoughts  :

1. The scan fails at roughly the same point (between 149K and 156K files). The filename displayed in SC is probably misleading. I would guess that it's tripping up on the same file or group of files. Has he excluded zipped/compressed files?

2. All the screenshots are of a Full Scan. What happens with a Quick Scan or custom scan?

3. Has he tried a Custom Scan of C:\Users\PaulK\ only?

4. In a Custom Scan (I just checked) the active processes are mcagent and mcshield. mcshield runs as a System process but mcagent runs as a user-specific process. So he could try running a scan as an Administrator, although I doubt that will fix it.

The file number a tad high for C drive but size of the files not large I would assume a lot of small files maybe. Try as admin and see what happens

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 41

Another feels you may have a rootkit infection have you scanned your PC with some of these scanners for testing?

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 41

I don't like support's idea of too many files, that's nonsense.  I have millions literally and don't see that.   Three questions; 1.  is this Windows 7 SP1 and fully up to date with all updates, especially those for your IE whether or not you use it?   (The McAfee interface is an IE page believe it or not) and 2.  Have you been using any registry cleaners? (CCleaner can and will wipe out needed registry keys if used indiscriminately).  3.  Is the drive compressed?

The reason I asked number 2 is that to me that looks like the installation is corrupted, meaning uninstall, MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall from your online account, and number 3 could be a reason for it having difficulty completing.

Another thought would be disk read errors.     Try doing a disk check.   Go to Start and type cmd in the search box.  When cmd.exe appears above right-click and select 'Run as Administrator'.

In the Command Prompt window type chkdsk /r (with the space) and click Enter.  You'll get an error saying the volume is in use, try at next boot Y/N?   Type Y and click Enter.  reboot and let it run its course.  

As I say that's only a thought.

Edit:  You could always start a new case with support and this time ask them to escalate it if you don't get a fix at the basic level.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/06/12 9:55:44 EDT AM
westonpk
Former Member
Message 9 of 41

Tony:

1.  I have not tried excluding zipped files.  I have no compressed files or drives.  Besides .zip and .rar, what file suffixes should I exclude?

2.  A Quick Scan runs with no problems.  The only Custom Scan I've run is to make sureVirusScan runs in the foreground with all available resources.

3.  I will run a Custom Scan of C:/Users/PaulK and let you know the results.

4.  A Full Scan run as Administrator still crashed.

5.  Here's the result for rootkitremover, run as Administrator:

Rootkit Remover v0.8.5

McAfee Labs.

Initializing...

Initialization complete!

Now Scanning...

Scan Result --> No trojan or viruses found!

Scan Finished

Press any key to exit.

Here's the result of Stinger, run as Administrator in Report Only mode with Very High Heuristics:

McAfee(r) Labs Stinger(tm) Version 10.2.0.674 built on Jun 15 2012

Copyright (c) 2012 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Virus data file v1000.0000 created on Jun 15 2012.

Ready to scan for 4473 viruses, trojans and variants.

Scan initiated on Sun Jun 17 21:46:11 2012

Rootkit scan result : Clean

Master Boot Record(s):....2

Possibly Infected:.............0

Boot Sector(s):.................2

Possibly Infected: ............0

Number of clean files: 85228

Peter:

1.  I am running Windows X64 Enterprise SP1 and IE 9.0.8112.16421, Update Versions 9.0.7.

2.  I use CCleaner to remove temp and internet files because it is MUCH faster than MS's disk cleaner.  I have not used it to "fix" the registry.

3.  Neither the C: not the 😧 drive is compressed.

4.  I followed all thre steps in Tony's post of 06/15/2012, 4:47 AM to uninstall, run MCPR, reboot, and reinstall from my online account.

5.  Chkdsk and sfc were run by Tech Support via remote access to my PC.  Everything was clean and green.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 41

I wonder if home user Total Protection is compatible with win 7 64bit enterprise edition. Just wondering will ask our contacts

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 18/06/12 2:24:08 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community