Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hd17184
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Thunderbird email hangs - On access scanning 25-50% CPU

Hi,

I use the IMAP client to manage my emails and a standard account for enhanced security on Windows 8.1.  The on-access scanning is killing performance on a very new PC which runs grerat when I remove McAfee.  I've been trying to synce 10 emails to a folder for 45 minutes over a very fast connection.  Is there a way I can get:

• Access to suspend real-time scanning from a standard acccount? - add a password access??
  • Access to exclusions menu to remove the Thunderbird directory (I changed to an Admin account and this worked for a few days)

I'm not running the Thunderbird plug-in.

Thanks!

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thunderbird email hangs - On access scanning 25-50% CPU

try disabling email attachment scanning in real time scanning settings.  I assume this is a consumer version of Mcafee or is it enterprise?

If it is consumer this issue is known and one needs to complain to support (after you confirm the workaroand) to get more support calls so McAfee will expedite a fix.

hd17184
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I tried that some time ago, berfore trying the exclusion.  It doesn't work.

I'm using the free Virusscan from Time-Warner.

Thanks,

Howard

Also, can you set the site to quit blocking password managers.  The insane rules are leading me to just reset the password everytime I login.  Its easier to reset than to write down.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

re the site issue you need to contact the system admin  re the email if the workaround is not a fix and if a reinstall does not help (done as laid out  in my signature link) you need to call support

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/contact-us.aspx#ht=tab-websitefeedback

I will point the admin here but things could change as the site is getting a new version of the forum software soon.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community