Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
london2000
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Thunderbird - McAfee problem

Hello,

I'm not sure this is the right discussion group but here goes ...

I'm using Thunderbird 11.0 and it is configured to download emails from several webmail accounts. This has worked without problems for a very long time. However, suddenly, for just one of these accounts, it has started to repeatedly download the same message (which I'll call message X) in place of any messages on the webmail server. So if the server has messages A, B and C waiting to be downloaded, then I receive three copies of X in their place, and A, B and C then appear in the Trash can of the webmail account. Message X, by the way, was a message sent on 16 March and it no longer exists on the webmail server, in either the Inbox or the Trash Can, so I've no idea where Thunderbird dredges it up from.

I'm also running McAfee Security Centre 11.0.654 with McAfee Virus Scan 15.0.294 (these are part of a package called BT NetProtect Plus provided by my ISP which I've used for a long time with Thunderbird). If I temporarily disable real-time scanning, then the problem disappears and Thunderbird correctly downloads any messages on the webmail server. However, once real-time scanning is restarted, then Thunderbird reverts to downloading a copy of message X for each message on the server.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and, more to the point, do they know how to fix it?

I've also posted a similar message on a Mozilla forum in the hope of getting the Thunderbird perspective.

Thanks, Roger

11 Replies
rkastigar
Former Member
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thunderbird - McAfee problem

I've given up on McAfee.  I'd rather have Thunderbird working correctly and then have something else for virus protection.

I'd installed McAfee Total Protection twice, set it to not scan email attacvhments and not to automatically update.  This worked fine.

Today, McAfee popped up and said a PROGRAM update was installed please reboot.  At this point I didn't have any choice.  Eventually I would need to turn off the computer and restart it.

I did, and the newer type user interface (with the squares) instead of the old (section in columns) appeared.  And Thunderbird jammed up and quit working again.

I used Add/Remove programs to remove McAfee and then used MCPR.exe to completely remove McAfee.

Thunderbird now worked correctly.

I installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have a 3-computer McAfee installation and have it installed on another computer plus a laptop.  I'll leave it running on these computers, since I don't use Thunderbird on them.  I just renewed it for a year, so I have a while to make a decision about what to use when renewal comes up again.

Rumor has it that McAfee is aware of this problem and promises a fix by the end of the 1st quarter of 2013.  I'll wait until I see some further information.

dms26
Contributor III
Message 3 of 12

I started having similar problems.  I am running TB 17.0.2 and Security Center 12.1, Virus Scan 16.1.  Causes TB to open slow and freeze.  I have to turn off real time scanning to download and read mail.  Subscription runs out in Aug.  If not resolved by Easter, I too am OUT OF HERE FOREVER,

lightman51
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

It hasnt happened!

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 12

Re: Re: Thunderbird - McAfee problem

Hi

Please let know if you are facing the same issue as the original poster.

lightman51
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

It certainly seems so. I never had to move emails from the inbox to sub folders before. I have used Thunderbird for maybe three years or so. Very recently I have found the combination of whatever Mcafee have done in an update and Thunderbird useless. I spend what seems like hours waiting for the pc to catch up

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 12

Hi

Since the original poster started this discussion in 2012 I would like to know the version details of Thunderbird and McAfee Installed on your PC so as to proceed further.

lightman51
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

Thunderbird is 31.1.1

Mcafee whatever the up to date system is

Windows 7

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 12

Selvan more worried is your system mcafee install 12.8 or 13.6 as there are both around. Some partners have not updated to 13.6 as yet.

lightman51
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Ho w do you find the install? I reformated in the last year and as far as I know Mcafee just installs the up to date install

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community