Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ap08mcf
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

System Shutdown during installation of VirusScan Plus

Hello,

I am sorry if it is wrong place but I could not locate my product.

I am helping my daughter to install McAffee VirusScan Plus on her Dell XPS/Dimension 400/9150 (XP Media Center + SP2, 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium D). She has just renewed her subscription. Now she is trying to update this security software on-line from the My Account section. Here we come to the problem.

Every time during the installation when McAffee starts scanning the computer the system crushes with famous message

“SYSTEM SHUTDOWN

This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM

Time before shutdown: 00:00:99

Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly.”

The event log shows two errors:

“Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609
Date: 10/25/2008
Time: 1:26:45 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DELL
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 800706BA from line 44 of d:\comxp_sp2\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8193
Date: 10/25/2008
Time: 1:26:45 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DELL
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
0008: 32 31 34 39 00 00 00 00 2149....
0010: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
0018: 32 31 31 31 00 00 00 00 2111....”

It happens in a couple minutes after scanning begun. So the installation is interrupted at this point and can not be finished. Once the computer rebooted it works normally (never shut down unexpectedly).

A month ago I have cleaned this computer because it was infected by burrito virus and numerous less harmful worms. It was reasonable to suggest that the computer is not cleaned yet. So I scanned it several times using on-line F-security, NDO32. Also got and run Semantic W32.Blaster.Worm remover and McAfee Stinger. Nothing was really found as far as virus is concerned but McAfee update still results in the shutting down of the computer.

Please note that previous version of McAfee (Enterprose 8.0i) was completely removed.

I can provide a HJT report as need but it also seems clean to me.

thks & rgds,
ap
Labels (1)
7 Replies
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

RE: System Shutdown during installation of VirusScan Plus

This is serious issue which happen due to two different reasons.

1. Virus attack, Rootkit attack.

2. Hard drive problem. Virus scan getting installed on a bad sector of a hard disk.
ap08mcf
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thank you, matrixluke.

The virus infection was my first suggestion. So I cleaned computer with different programs and run on-line scanners. How I can make sure that now it is clean? Can somebody analyzed HJT report or do I need to run something else?

I just do not understand why only McAfee failed to scan this computer!

I have not checked the hard driver. Let me run MS chkdsk and see what happens.

thks & rgds,
ap
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I thought you weren't able to install McAfee.
ap08mcf
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

No, I was not able to install McAfee. But it does scan during installation from web site (as I can see on the screen). This part failed to complete and shut down the computer. Sorry for confusion.

I scheduled chkdsk to run as it wants exclusive assess and gives the error otherwise ("windows unable to complete disc check") . As far as I know checking takes a wile so I will report the result once it done.

Thanks for your consideration.

thks & rgds,
ap
ap08mcf
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

I would like to report that the problem was resolved and finally McAfee was successfully installed.
First of all I run chkdsc which performed minor correction of file system So HD is fine (no bed sectors). Then I gave McAfee another try. But this time I prepared a abort.bat file with command "shutdown -a". And that made a difference.

So I let McAfee to complete pre-install scan (sure enough the installation was interrupted with the same error) as I was able to stop shutdown process. After all McAfee might did something since it said that two problem was repaired (I did not find refernce yet).

Any way the insatllation was finished and now my daughter (and me) is happy camper.

Thanks a lot for your assistance and good luck with solving other problems.

Regards,
ap:)
duff
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Same Problem

McAfee and Services.exe termination code 1073741819

Did a chat with Tech Support - Waste of time. They said I needed to pay to have a virus removed. Couldn't find anything other than this thread for the problem on the Mcafee site. I've been in IT for 35 years. This is very poor support. There are loads of people that want an alternative to Norton. You'd think they would chase that market.

Fiddled with it for almost 8 hours. This was the second Dell I installed Mcafee VurusScan Plus 2009 on. The first one was just quirky. After I ran the clean up utility it settled down. This issue appeared on the second Dell install. It was really failing all over the place - Services, Firewall, shutting down every 5 minutes. Found many posts on the web for the same issue but no solution. Fortunately I had multiple accounts on this PC. I eventually signed on from a non-Admin ID and I was able to run a scan that found nothing. Then I used an Admin account and reinstalled Mcafee over top of the first install. That cleared it up. GOOD LUCK with Mcafee .
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

RE: Same Problem

You seem to be OK then so locking this thread as it's old and the OP said it was solved.

Any further issues start a new thread. Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community