Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 31 of 67

Re: System Changes and “An Error Has Occurred” Starting Custom Scan

Hello All,

I just checked a fresh copy of MCPR and confirmed that the copyright date is old. While the date is old the tool has been updated many times a year. 

I will work with dev to get this updated. Since this is a tool and doesn't affect functionality this is a lower priority task. I don't see a change soon.

Moving on to the certificate, while this certificate is old the tool is still functional. An update is planned, I don't have an ETA on this one either.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 32 of 67

mrepuski wrote:

Hello All,

I just checked a fresh copy of MCPR and confirmed that the copyright date is old. While the date is old the tool has been updated many times a year. 

I will work with dev to get this updated. Since this is a tool and doesn't affect functionality this is a lower priority task. I don't see a change soon.

Moving on to the certificate, while this certificate is old the tool is still functional. An update is planned, I don't have an ETA on this one either.

Thanks Mark.

moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 33 of 67

I understand there is a certain amount of face saving here; I’m not going to parse the wording.

I also understand there are probably more pressing needs to rectify the actually live product, however: an accurate complete uninstall will solve more customer’s problems than all the posts combined in this forum ten times over. And there are tons of tools to rectify this situation relatively quickly.

I (and all other McAfee home users should) appreciate the attention and response…and my special thanks to Peter.

Perhaps someone may also note I’m a paying customer who cares enough to take the time and effort to see this thing through…

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 34 of 67

You're welcome but it was just explained to me that the tool will never be perfect because no sooner is it upgraded then another application changes, so it's a game of catch-up constantly.

Then there is the instance where some products can't be removed that way in the first place.   It all sounds very complicated to me.   Suffice it to say that it works satisfactorily in the bulk of cases.

Then people use tools that protect their systems from change such as Spybot Teatimer (for just one example) that lock the registry and prevent such tools from working properly...the list goes on.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/07/14 8:33:50 EDT PM
moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 35 of 67

Well if McAfee can’t (or won’t) do it, I certainly can for a small fee. I’ve already got all the data needed to develop an application removing and restoring whatever MCPR leaves behind for XP…and I’ll keep it “constantly” updated.

If demand is good, I’ll provide the same for other OSs too. I can already envision the marketing possibilities revealing the many benefits of using my product on a new website, just need catchy name…anybody got suggestions?

dmurphy
Former Member
Message 36 of 67

I'm completely new to McAfee and have this problem. On reading through this thread I have become convinced that you know how to solve the problem of "an error has occurred" starting custom scan. Seems to have something to do with uninstalling everything McAfee related and then reinstalling? I have windows xp service pack 3 fully updated. Have just installed McAfee so its brand new (although I have accidentally installed time limited versions in the past packaged with other software). It is quite happy to do a full computer scan (takes over a day) and gives me a clean bill of health. However no matter how hard I try and what variation of customiseation it refuses to do a custom scan giving "an error has occurred". I dont have much time and am a PC user not willing to be adventurous or experimental. On searching for an answer I have ended up here and cant find a solution. So if you have a simple "laymans" easy step by step guide solution it would be much appreciated. Thanks

moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 37 of 67

I haven’t tested the updated MCPR using XP (now dated April 11, 2014 with version 7.6.133.0), but I suggest carefully following these procedures for XP and then reinstall McAfee: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

If you’ve already done this, I’m afraid restore or rebuild of XP is the only other alternative without a McAfee update.

If others express interest and enough are willing to compensate my time, I will test MCPR for XP and provide a fix if needed. I refuse to do what McAfee is getting paid to do and should be doing without return anymore.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 67

dmurphy wrote:

I'm completely new to McAfee and have this problem. On reading through this thread I have become convinced that you know how to solve the problem of "an error has occurred" starting custom scan. Seems to have something to do with uninstalling everything McAfee related and then reinstalling? I have windows xp service pack 3 fully updated. Have just installed McAfee so its brand new (although I have accidentally installed time limited versions in the past packaged with other software). It is quite happy to do a full computer scan (takes over a day) and gives me a clean bill of health. However no matter how hard I try and what variation of customiseation it refuses to do a custom scan giving "an error has occurred". I dont have much time and am a PC user not willing to be adventurous or experimental. On searching for an answer I have ended up here and cant find a solution. So if you have a simple "laymans" easy step by step guide solution it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Incomplete removal can be caused by many things but the usual cause is because the software has been corrupted somehow, often because Registry Cleaners have been used or some sort of malware has been at work to mention but two reasons.   That can happen because no security software is 100% guaranteed no matter what brand.  The removal tool, which should always be freshly downloaded from the McAfee website (only) to guarantee the latest version, works only with retail consumer products with some exceptions.  Normal uninstall methods should be utilized first to make sure that the online account is credited back the license then the MCPR tool (see Useful Links at the top of this page) should be used followed by an immediate reboot if you need to be sure all remnants have been removed.  It does not work at all with Anti-Theft, and for Family Protection/Parental Controls you have to know the Admin password.  For any problems Technical Support is available free of charge by phone or online chat to help you.  They are also linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

The use of 3rd party tools is entirely at your own risk and the offering of such tools, whether free or for a fee could possibly contravene the forum Terms of Service.    I'm only a volunteer here and a customer like yourselves, but I would be cautious of using unsupported methods.  Soliciting for business is also prohibited here.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/07/14 9:36:52 EDT PM
moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 39 of 67

Interesting, another case of Peter modifying his original post long after an ordinary user has already responded in the past (now dated Jul 3, 2014 7:33 PM after my May 12th response: https://community.mcafee.com/message/330989#330989).

I’m not soliciting business nor want it; I have much better things to do with my time. If anything, I provided McAfee with beneficial research on the front-end with my hard work and now I’m threatened severely by Peter via e-mail and publicly for offering assistance if they don’t react to customers!

I retract any offer of assistance and note Peter could have offered his consistent biased advice long before now (he nearly always does within 20 minutes of any post), but it’s no different than mine in the end.

The troubling thing: most McAfee employee’s that deal with the Internet probably realize that for every post here accounts for several thousand other customers who never post because they don’t know what, why, how or simply just don’t want to deal with any signup hassles. In the end it’s called planned obsolescence even if real lives are involved; Intel has their eyes on another company right now.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 40 of 67

Interesting, another case of Peter modifying his original post long after an ordinary user has already responded in the past (now dated Jul 3, 2014 7:33 PM after my May 12th response: https://community.mcafee.com/message/330989#330989).

I merely altered a spelling error.  Often I make a mistake as I have falling eyesight.   Nothing sinister about that.

I’m not soliciting business nor want it; I have much better things to do with my time. If anything, I provided McAfee with beneficial research on the front-end with my hard work and now I’m threatened severely by Peter via e-mail and publicly for offering assistance if they don’t react to customers!

By offering to make software for a fee for specifically replacing something McAfee has developed then sorry, but I'm afraid you are breaking forum rules and I was only pointing that out for your own good.   If you don't like that, I'm sorry but that's the way it is.   In NO way have I ever threaten you.

"If the don't react to customers" - not sure what exactly you think these forums represent.  They are primarily peer to peer support & when we Mods get involved we  point people in the direction  they need to go to solve as situation.    Rarely a McAfee person will get involved but if you want to speak to them then you contact Technical Support for product help or Customer Service for account help and there is always the Product Ideas section for suggestions on Product improvements.

I retract any offer of assistance and note Peter could have offered his consistent biased advice long before now (he nearly always does within 20 minutes of any post), but it’s no different than mine in the end.

Good and of course I'm biased.  I volunteer here to help people with McAfee product problems and have to follow the forum rules.  Believe me, it's largely a thankless task.   I was only warning you that the Forum Admin may take a dim view of your offer, that was for your own good.

The troubling thing: most McAfee employee’s that deal with the Internet probably realize that for every post here accounts for several thousand other customers who never post because they don’t know what, why, how or simply just don’t want to deal with any signup hassles. In the end it’s called planned obsolescence even if real lives are involved; Intel has their eyes on another company right now.

That's an assumption based on...?   McAfee has several hundred million customers and the bulk of them are happy I assume as it's pretty easy to find the way here or to the support portal.  A few will post here with problems which is inevitable.  This is only a place to discuss the issues, real support is elsewhere.   All software expires eventually.  It's called business...if it never expired then there would nobody developing bigger and better things.   I'm sure Intel has many irons in the fire for want of a better description, but any speculation on that is just that, speculation.   Believe me, they don't tell us anything.  We Mods don't even work for them anyway.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community