cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdfbt40
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Submitting a file for an Extra.dat

How do you submit a file which although being used for several years is suddenly being removed as a Trojan, despite it never having caused any problems?

Its the Front End I, and many others, use for our Car PCs, Road Runner. Its a freeware program so has no commercial support.

It's reported as Generic.dx but no further identification. The AVERT site lists that ID as early 2007, but VS started removing Road Runner executable around mid-September (its difficult to be precise as the Car PCs are only connected for updates once a month.

I've tried working with Customer Services and submitting the file, but I just get an automated response confirming the detection. As Road Runner isn't on the PUP database I can't add it to an exception list and there is no free entry exception list in this consumer product.

Martin
7 Replies
plastic_honesty
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

RE: Submitting a file for an Extra.dat

pdfbt40
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thanks, I had skimmed that thread, but as I said in my post...

I've tried working with Customer Services and submitting the file, but I just get an automated response confirming the detection.

Perhaps I should have made it a bit clearer, I've submitted the file by email and web links, but as I've said I just get a confirmation of the detection.:eek:

I'd just junk McAfee (after around 7 years use) and use a competitor's product with the advanced features McAfee no longer has, but I've just renewed my licence for another year.:mad:

Martin
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

reply to the automated email and request for help that is the fastest route for help:)
pdfbt40
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Yes, I've been doing that for a week.

Strangely, or not, I've just received an EXTRA.DAT (yet to be tested) and a promise of correction in the next update.

Is that the usual turnaround, or is it the power of this forum. 😉

Martin
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

I think it's just work load causing delays. Did they send you instructions on how to use the extra.dat?

If not they are here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=307214&lc=1033&partner=McAfee&type=TS&ia=1
pdfbt40
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Yes some instructions were included, but I knew what to do anyway, which was good as the instructions were wrong. :rolleyes:

Extra.dat is now installed and I can run my Car PC protected (?) again.

The email said (correctly) that the program had no infection, but didn't give any information on why it had triggered a detection and instant removal. Not very helpful for trying to solve the 'root cause' of the error in the program itself.

Just hope I remember this next September when renewal comes around.

Martin
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

All A/V applications make mistakes from time to time.

I'll move this to the solved area.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community