cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coast
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Spyware in the family

A close relative is a notorious spy. He has openly admitted that he regularly installs spyware on his ex-girlfriends' (and possibly, current girlfriend's) computers and also keeps an eye on his children's communication on the internet (possibly other family members' too). He has software that, from what he has told me, completely can take over the computer, and he can see everything that you type (passwords, etc). I have strong suspicions that he does these things to me too. I've recently reinstalled windows on my computer because it was infected by a program that disallowed me from installing Windows Update, and that pretended to be McAfee firewall but in reality prevented me from downloading anything from McAfee. I discovered this when I couldn't renew my McAfee subscription. Two days after he realized I had reinstalled windows, he contacted me and asked me to "look at a link". The problems started in the first place 14 days after he asked me to check out a link in an email he sent me, so this time I refused to do so. Yesterday he visited, and too late I realized he had put a memorystick into my PC just to "show me something". I don't know for sure, but I worry that he has again installed spyware at me.

I have just invested in an expensive protection package from McAfee, and now I don't know if it still is protecting me, or if I am infected. Is there a way I can check that my McAfee program really is what it tells me it is, and not HIS version (that looks like McAfee but in reality makes my computer open to his attacks)? Is there a way I can regularly check that my McAfee program is up and working, that it is authentic?

1 Reply
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

Re: Spyware in the family

Hi there,

McAfee's Virus Research team is constantly updating its library of 'known' viruses and spyware.  At the core of McAfee software is something called 'heuristic' protection...which looks for suspect behavior by any program or file in your computer

And now you may ask -  how this technology gets updated to my computer ?

- Through DAT's that installs to your computer by the way of updates that takes place frequently (yes that tiny little revolving icon is the key factor that protects the computer from those vulnerable elements over the internet)

But,  Even so, the constantly-changing nature of viruses and their different variants makes 100% security impossibility, with any anti-virus software. So, make sure that you do not click on any attachments in email from unknown person or download any data from untrusted site (more riskier).

As of now , just perform a complete update with your security program, and then run a full scan of the computer - That should do its job of not only detecting but also removing any virus/spyware if found.
Also, just go through these
13 Ways to protect your system which will help you surf worry free over the internet.

For any other assistance we are here with you

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community